Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Registation

Dave Z

Enthusiast
Following on from the previus thread
I have one in my garage which came from France originally and then was registered in the UK and subsequently returned to France and re registered there, it then came back to UK but never reregistered and i then bought her. I have the re - registered french carte grise documents(which has reference to the UK registration) and a photocopy of the UK V5. I assume the original V5 was submitted to the french authorities. The regisrtaion number is still showing on DVLA records and is shown as non taxed.

The question i have is: Do i need to go through the usual process to get a french vehicle registered here or can i simply apply for a new V5 under the previous UK registration number?

Thanks

Following on from the previus thread
I have one in my garage which came from France originally and then was registered in the UK and subsequently returned to France and re registered there, it then came back to UK but never reregistered and i then bought her. I have the re - registered french carte grise documents(which has reference to the UK registration) and a photocopy of the UK V5. I assume the original V5 was submitted to the french authorities. The regisrtaion number is still showing on DVLA records and is shown as non taxed.

The question i have is: Do i need to go through the usual process to get a french vehicle registered here or can i simply apply for a new V5 under the previous UK registration number?

Thanks
I had the same sitution with a renault 16.I applied in the normal way including the Nova and carte grise and DVLA sent the log book with the original reg number and returned my cheque.

I did one like that in the summer. The steps are:

Phone Customs and Excise VAT people and get them to email you a NOVA 1 form for you to post to them. Send it with a covering letter saying the car has previously been previously registered in the UK and came back to the UK last week (you are supposed to tell them within 2 weeks of the car arriving even if the car arrived years ago). NOVA 1 tells them the car is in the UK and they decide if they want to charge VAT. There is a backlog and it will take them 4 to 6 weeks to open the letter. They will decide no VAT is due and send you a NOVA number. You need this before sending forms to the DVLA.

Phone the DVLA. Tell them you want to register an imported car that was previously registered in the UK. They will talk you through the system and send you the forms. There is no fee for cars that were once registered in the UK. They will post forms and you return them using the information on the original V5 as a crib sheet. DVLA are pretty quick and you will likely get a form back that lets you buy number plates in a week or so. The V5 will come a few days later.

If you have the UK registration number and can see it online as untaxed, I'd get it mot'd and tax it.

If it's coming up on the computer it is still a UK registered vehicle, in all probability the people who exported it back out to France didn't tell the UK authorities.

I'd try that way first as it's quicker and easier...

Back