Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

remove of rocker shaft

peter pan

Enthusiast
remove of rocker shaft pic two show u wat i mean

is there a special tool two remove the rocker shaft (head bolts) if not how do i do it?

I thought they were just hex nuts - I use a socket set.

Do you have a manual for the car? The Haynes one is very useful, though might not cover the R1126 engine. I think it's close to the 850cc engine which will be covered. Cheap on eBay.

the tap-its are two close together to get the socket in i will send a pic if u dont no wat i mean

This engine used a special socket because I had to buy one from Renault way back in the 1970's. You may find that a 3/8" drive socket may work if you grind it to make it thinner.

i think i will try two grind it to make it fit hopefully that will get it undone thanks for Ur help i will keep u posted but if sum one know Wat the tool is called Plz tell us:)

Hi, to remove the cylinder head you will need to remove the rocker shaft first and then all eight pushrod .Then you can get to the cylinder head bolts easily .I would suggest you get hold of a manual as it will have a step by step guide .You have to be very careful not to lift out the cam followers or disturb the cylinder liners .

You dont need to remove the rocker shaft
Just push the rocker against the spring and carefully turn it 90 degres So it is pointing down or up cant remember which I think one goes one way one the other
Then just use a standard thin type 14mm deep socket 1/2 drive is best

I'm going to remove the rocker shaft first its the safe and best way to do it i think? give it all a good clean then :rolleyes:

I dont think on that type of head you can remove the rocker shaft easily
just undo the adjusters enougth to remove the rod then turn the rocker as my previous post
I found this the easiest way on a 747cc engine in my TL

No need to grind, chisel, cut or gas-axe anything to get those two bolts out. It is as suggested by Martin.

1) Remove the tappet adjusting screws for the two blocking rockers.

2) Push each rocker to one side against the spring allowing removal of the pushrods.

3) Push the rocker down, so that the tappet adjusting screw hole is closest to the cylinder head top, this then gives plenty of clearance to access those two bolts.

4) If it is just a head gasket that is being replaced, leave the longest centre head bolt just loose, then knock the head with a wooden block or soft faced hammer gently on the side of the head, this will cause the head to pivot around that bolt. DO NOT lift the head straight up off the block until the head is loose, or you will risk breaking the liner seals at the base of the cylinder liner.

:D taken head off today lots of shit in there that all i need two do is grind the vales back in give the head a good clean and new head gasket:D

Do not turn the engine over to clean the pistons unless you've clamped the liners down with suitable bolts and washers, otherwise you'll have big problems!!

You can't remove the rocker shafts on the R4 with the head on the car!!! At least the rear half of it. I use a low height 14 mm 3/8" drive socket that I insert easily between the rockers,then fit an extension on it.
Although it is a safe precaution to clamp down the liners, they are usually rusted solid on the block and cannot be dislodged so easily. But of course, better safe than sorry...

Martins Method in action

I thought some may like to see Matins method in action, it works well.Slaken the tappet,slide across the rocker and remove the push rod, then rotate the rocker as shown,result plenty of access to the two bolts in question.

I do have a related problem of my own though which I wanted to get some advise on. On removal of the cylinder head I was surprised to see coolant filling the various spaces between the bores, On closer examination there was coolant in the area where the push rods sit on the followers, also coolant on two bolt holes! little coolant in cylinder No 1?? . I did have a little hitch when I lifted the head, I'd forgotten to take off the lower heater hose and lifted the head 10mm or so with it attached before realizing. Undid the hose and then lifted the head with all but two push rods still attached to the head.

I have syringed out all coolant and lowered the level in the main channels, but I'm a bit concerned....this engine has not run for 15 years. Help appreciated! When I drain the coolant I did not take out any plug from the engine block, was this my mistake?

One further question I read about being careful not to lift the push rod followers but one seems a little higher than the rest? Do they go up and down over the cam and if so could this be the reason this one is higher and also what happens if you do lift them, why are they difficult to get back.

Knowing the experience out there I'm sure someone will have an idea
Thanks

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
would you like a free head gasket as found one the other day you cant be that far away as i am on sussex coast too

Back