Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 100

oak

The "Renault 100" aka the articulated swinger loader model made by continental that uses the 1098 cc engine (from R10 Caravelle 1968 gas engine) Just imagine the Renault engine placed in a tractor with a bunch of unusual changes such as the carb, exchaust, water pump, etc.

Anyway, a little while ago I did an engine rebuild new gasket seals, some new bearings (another stupid design that was added called a gEar driven governor) that caused some metal pieces to get sucked through the engine. Anyway, the rebuild process went pretty smooth. New rings were installed. Ilive in the states so parts are more scarce around here for a 68 motor by Renault. Two things that I couldn't find were the liner seals and valve seals. My main concern is how do you guys install the liners? I used omega black ATF that is oil and coolant resistant. Is this OK? I've also read that some people don't do anything at all? (no seals I mean).

The other thing that I had a question on was the milky white oil under the oil cap. Some people say that the tall valve cover causes more condensation build up during winter, I checked my oil and it looks clean. Drained and will recheck again. Not sure if this is a common issue in the winter time since I haven't run this engine in the summer yet.

Appreciate any input.

We can buy the liner seals over here. I think I bought mine from the local engine shop. For the early engines (in the R4 or before) they are supplied as 3 different thicknesses of paper. You measure the height of liner in the block and decide which thickness seal you need to use.

The liner paper seals are all very thin so if you have just used sealant it will probably be fine. At the worst there is less pressure on the head gasket sealing ring if there is no liner seal. The later system (R5 1300 and 1400) is nicer - you get a rubber O ring that you can also smear a bit of sealant on.

I've seen condensation under the filler cap in engines that have had no other problems (other than not being used very often) sol wouldn't worry unless there are other troubles.

Do post some photos of your engine if you get the chance. It's fun to see where they were used.

We can buy the liner seals over here. I think I bought mine from the local engine shop. For the early engines (in the R4 or before) they are supplied as 3 different thicknesses of paper. You measure the height of liner in the block and decide which thickness seal you need to use.

The liner paper seals are all very thin so if you have just used sealant it will probably be fine. At the worst there is less pressure on the head gasket sealing ring if there is no liner seal. The later system (R5 1300 and 1400) is nicer - you get a rubber O ring that you can also smear a bit of sealant on.

I've seen condensation under the filler cap in engines that have had no other problems (other than not being used very often) sol wouldn't worry unless there are other troubles.

Do post some photos of your engine if you get the chance. It's fun to see where they were used.

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for your reply. Are you guys still able to easily locate most parts for your engine (like the 1.1l that I have)? For example, how much would a replacement liner cost if I wanted to replace it? The reason why I ask is because I want to find out if it's a motor worth investing in on the repairs and if the parts are still avail out there.

I think you're right about the oil cap. This machine barely sees any use (not a daily driver obviously), especially right now during the winter.

Some mods that have been accomplished with my motor:
-upgrade to electric fuel pump
-upgrade to electric fan (in progress)

My "Renault" is in a friends shop right now but I still have some photos that I took after the Renovation. Will update a little later.

Back