Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 21

Greeney in France

Bloody nice bloke actualy
Does anyone know owt about the 1700ltr 21 engine my 1991 has a carb not fuel injected It has started to chug going up hill the only way to stop this is pull choke I thought it may be vacuum and there is a pipe missing from the back of the carb but I cant find where it would go to let alone where the pipe is if it was there at all there is another one thats perfectly in tact
It has done about 200000klm 126000miles ish

Typical 1721 engine..

at that mileage more likely the carb has distorted...usual problem with them..

Try spraying some wd40 around carb base,if the engine tickover picks up then the base gaskets are leaking but more likely the carb is distorted

cheers

Andrew

Some of these carbs had a rubber base to them and the rubber can split. these are still available from renault.

Does anyone know owt about the 1700ltr 21 engine my 1991 has a carb not fuel injected It has started to chug going up hill the only way to stop this is pull choke I thought it may be vacuum and there is a pipe missing from the back of the carb but I cant find where it would go to let alone where the pipe is if it was there at all there is another one thats perfectly in tact
It has done about 200000klm 126000miles ish[/QUO Did'ent Volvo fit this engine to there 340 model ? , i know that they used a renault 1700cc engine in 1989 as the sister in law had one which also had problems ,that had only done 35000 mls i never did find what was wrong with it . I tried flatting the carb base as even with the low miles it was warped it did'ent help. For more help why not try a volvo forum ,there must be one for the 340 model after all theres one for the R4!! :eek:

Yes I'm afraid so. Volvo and Renault shared engines and technology with each other quite a bit a few years back. In fact at one point Renault made an offer to buy Volvo, but apparantly the swedish nationalists didn't like this and protested at the idea. So Ford bought them instead and turned them into rebadged mondeos!

Back