Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 Chassis Jig

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I've almost finished my Renault 4 chassis jig! It's quite exciting as not only will it hold everything in position while I replace sills and floors, but it can also spin the chassis around so I'll never have to weld underneath again. I've been wtiting about it on the MIG welding forum, and a page will appear here with dimensions soon.

chassis-jig2.jpg

It picks up on the suspension, rear bumper and gearbox mounting points already. Not a lot of work to make locations for the engine mountings, anti-roll bar and front bumper mountings. New galvanised chassis anyone?

Good stuff! Nicely done, especially getting it close to a .2mm tolerance!

Hello!
at first thank you for this great website!
I just try to restaurate a 1977 R4TL - your site is very helpful.
already built the rear suspension jig which fits perfect.
now i also would like to buld the full chassis jig.
would it be possible to get more informations about that? measurements and so on...
that would help me a lot because the chassis is very rusty and bent..

thank you

chris

Hi Chris. I'll try to put something together this week.

1977 is a very late car for Australia. How did it get over there?

maybe when my chassis rusts through do you think it wouls pass an mot with one of those strapped underneath it?

great idea though,i guess it could have some sort of adaptor plates to use it on other cars as well? as i have several different old cars

I had to wait until I removed my chassis from the jig to measure some missing dimensions. My chassis came off the jig yesterday for shot blasting.

There should be enough information on http://www.renault4.co.uk/chassis-jig-dimensions.htm to make the chassis jig. You'll probably need to use your own chassis to help position things exactly.

thank you soooooo much!
I´m one of them who will use your information and... take the donation, visite your favourite pub and get some cold beer..
Prost, like we say in Austria!

Thank You
chris

Thanks - that's very much appreciated. Keep us up to date with your project and jig building.

I've finished the page off this morning with co-ordinates of all of the mounting points. I've added a scan of the workshop manual I originally worked from, though I notice I am 1mm inaccurate in height in places.

It's probably worth comparing my co-ordinates with those from the workshop manual and maybe modify the attachments a little if you want to be more accurate.

Does anyone have more detailed information on mounting point locations - I only have the MR-61 diagram below.

mini-mr61.gif

Hey. I find all dimensions, but i cant find dimension of C frame. Where can i find it?

Nemanja

The total length is not important. Mine is 3.5m long as it clears the front and rear of the body. If your jig will me mounted on the floor the length is unimportant.

I am doing a course this week away from home and only have a few minutes each day. If you post a diagram with the dimensions you need I might be able to help figure it out tomorrow morning.

The distance between the inner faces of the side members on my chassis jig is 605mm. Is that what you needed?

Or are you asking for the thickness of the C section? Mine is (from memory) 100mm tall, 50mm wide. The long face is 6mm thick, and the two short faces are 9mm thick. Though I would prefer to use a square section rather than a C section as the C section is not rigid.

I hope that is helpful - otherwise please draw a sketch showing the dimensions you need.

Hi..... i am checking you dimensions of chassis jig. I found some dimensions that i am not sure that is correct. Please, check dimension of X coordinate for 4xx (402, 404, ....) (page of dimension http://www.renault4.co.uk/chassis-jig-dimensions.htm). I think that x coordinates is bigger on your documentation. I think that is need to reduce for about 40-50cm. Can you help me?

I think you are right. The dimension to the forward mounting hole for the support is 2490mm, and there is a 4xx co-ordinate that should be less than that, but they are all more in the table.

There should be enough information on the page to calculate the correct dimension. I'll correct it shortly.

Thanks.... I will try to calculate.... and make dimensions.... a we will see is it correct.... when welding is finish. :)

Back