Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 Galvanized Chassis

I am looking into having a galvanized chassis made for my very rusty GTL "Lady Marmalade" i do a lot of work with stainless steel parts and am looking to work with a friend who runs a local engineering firm who make box frame chassis for trailers, they have said that they are going to attempt to use my original chassis to try and make a new one. This was mainly a a thread wondering if there would be any other people out there who would like one? it would also be nice if someone had a good chassis we could borrow to copy as mine may be a poor place to start... Obviously i have no idea on the price yet, but was just canvassing for support...

would there be any takers?
or advice?
Let me know
Stuart.

Just short up date on progress, we have picked up the bare chassis from 4mad in Penzance, (many thanks to him) my car is now also beside it in the 'Works' Body removed but still as rolling Chassis with engine fitted as they wanted to understand how it all fits together.
I have taken on board the comments regarding regulation, and plan on selling a "substantial repair section" involving the removal of sections of original chassis for re use, (centre cross member & number, rear cross member, and
front gearbox cross member and outrigger assy) in the hopes that there is enough original to satisfy the powers that be.
Thanks for all the responses Inc Malcolm re the Jig
As soon as there is a bit more to show I will have some photos to show.
It would be good to get it to the gathering in the summer does anyone know the details?

Regards Stuart

Hi Stuart, not sure which event you mean. If it's Thenay in France there are plenty of details under the events section. There is a getogether nearer to home at Powderham Castle near Exeter on July 9th 10th, and the man to contact is Rob Doran, <speedwayrob@hotmail.com>. He is hoping for a big display of 4s there this year. All the best, Brian.

There was a Thread last year (July/August) entitled "New Chassis Are Being Made!!!" in which this was discussed. The source ultimately proved a non-item, but figures of approximately £1500 per unit were mentioned.

I would think that there would be a demand for new chassis in any country where there were enthusiasts and the local regulations permitted them (i.e. not France) and the fact that this current Thread has had over 1000 views must count for something. But I would also think that in order to bring costs down significantly, it would be necessary to fabricate a reasonably large number of chassis at once (say 20?) which means a big tie-up of time and capital.

Another caveat is that any chassis would have to be a fairly close carbon-copy of the original - something too crude might not do, even for DVLA.

I have in the past discussed this with Derek Favell at Renospeed, and he said that virtually any chassis can be reconstructed, given time and money. I also got the impression from him that many of the chassis components were still available, either direct or as aftermarket items. If this is the case it might bring costs down somewhat.

You presumably have a copy of Renault official Workshop Manual MR 176. This gives step-by-step instructions for repairing a chassis from individual bits.

If this project ever got off the ground you could count me in for two chassis, for a start.

hi Stuart,
hows my chassias doing...

cheers
andrew

any updates Stuart, did you pop over?

Hi Stuart,
any chance i can have my chassias back in the next couple of weeks please as im going to get it blasted next month along with a friend who has loads of bits to do

cheers
Andrew

Back