Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 GTL shaking at idle

MarioZg

Enthusiast
Hello, I am quite old member, but I didn`t write a lot. After a few GTLs andd one TL, I finally found what I was looking for. It`s 1985 Renault 4 GTL, bought from first owner with just 79500 km on the clock. Car was out of the road for 6 years since owner died. Car is running perfectly smoothly, mechanical condition is like new, there is no any rust on chassis, this is the best R4 I had. Ask member petak, he saw it :)
Anyway, I have one problem. Like I sad car is running smooth, but it`s shaking at idle. There is no air leak, speeding up is smooth, rpm on idle is constant, but it`s shaking. I tried to set mixture, but I found out that there is no conection with mixture and shaking. Timing is also set, there is no problem with distributor.
So, car is running perfectly, but it`s not calm at idle. Everything else is ok. Can somebody help me or just tell me where to look for solving the problem. Thank you very much and from now on, I promise that I will be here more often than I used to be, hopefully not because of the problems with my Whitey ;)

Assuming the timing and carburettor are correctly set then the most obvious causes have been eliminated. When you say it's shaking at idle could this be because the rubber engine support brackets are worn? When the engine is revved up the harmonic resonance would reduce the vibrations that might be noticed at tick-over.

Just a thought!

Carb and timing are set, you can see in following video how it`s start.

And here you can see how it`s shaking from the inside and the engine itself.

I think engine supports are in good condition because there is no other sounds while starting, changing gears, etc.

Hi Mario,

My thoughts on the matter.
I also think there is something wrong with the supports.
Maybe not the rubbers themselves

Sometimes it makes these symptoms when the engine support bracket that sits over the starter motor is either loose or missing.

This bracket sits on the left side of the engine over the starter motor and stabilizes the engine from sideways motions.

It looks like a bend piece of steel. Nothing special but it essential for a smooth ride.

Try and locate it just behind the steering axle against te engine over the starter.

Is that support you are talking about? Can you see is everything like it should be? I know it`s very hard to tell anything from the photos, but I don`t have any tool in garage because I am cleaning it right now. Anyway, I tried to move the engine with my hands in side directions, but I didn`t get impression that something is wrong, and there is no any "click" sounds.

IMG_20171223_182705.jpg IMG_20171223_182744.jpg IMG_20171223_185656.jpg

Looks all attached id say.

A simple test to check your supports is to put a Jack underneath the engine and try to lift it, put a piece of board under the sump and lift it with a jack. Not to far, a centimeter is enough and it will show a broken support.

Last edited:
Lovely dry day here so I uncovered the car and started it up to compare with your video number three. My engine looked just like yours at idle so I will be interested to know if you can calm your engine down. I never thought it was a problem. Just what I expected from an old car.

Idle speed seems too high (just an idea, video sound can be deceptive). Check it's around 650-750 rpm.
Also check compression on all four cylinders is equal.

The joint bush between the vertical and the horizontal part of the gear shift lever needs to be replaced :-)

Hello, and happy holidays. Yesterday it was beautiful weather so I took it out of the garage. While I was driving, car stopped shaking. I don`t know how and why, but I noticed on the traffic light that it isn`t shaking anymore. I didn`t do anything, but suddenly it rides like it should. Now I`m more interested what was the cause, because I have no idea. I will took it out today to see how it will behave and I`ll make a video for you. I hope it will stay like this. If you have any ideas, feel free to say.

EDIT: Here you can see videos

Last edited:
Unfortunately, car is shaking again after about a month working perfectly. I replaced, cables, distributor cap and rotor arm, but nothing changed. Tomorrow I will change spark plugs and platinum and clean the carburateur and then I will see. Maybe there is some dirt in fuel sistem. Anyway, I found out new strange sound on higher RPM. You can here in video how it sounds. If someone can tell me what it could be, feel free to say. Thank you!

Sounds like something slipping at higher revs, could it be a drive belt?

That`s the idea which I came up with. But the thing that bothers me is that I don`t here it every time... More often I here it, but rarely I don`t. It showed up all of a/the (I don`t know which article I use in this one :D ) sudden

have you tried changing the inline fuel filter, and also check the filter in the carb. how old is the fuel?

Hello! I cleaned the carburateur, replaced spark plugs and platinum, igniton is set. Few days after this replacement engine was still shaking, but now it doesn`t, so I doubt that was the problem because it stopped shaking all by itself like the first time.
The thing I noticed is that engine is not shaking when I drive in town, no matter how long I drive, but when I take it to open road and drive in constant speed of 90-120 km/h, even for a very short period of time, when I stop, it is shaking much more and then, after a minute or two, is calm again :confused::confused::confused:. Now I put 100 octane petrol, but I don`t see how it could affect on calm idle.
Anyway, the sound in previous video isn`t coming from the engine itself, but some parts outside the engine. I have to change engine and gearbox oil, brakes and front wheel bearings and than car will be like in 1985 :cool:

Hello! I cleaned the carburateur, replaced spark plugs and platinum, igniton is set. Few days after this replacement engine was still shaking, but now it doesn`t, so I doubt that was the problem because it stopped shaking all by itself like the first time.
The thing I noticed is that engine is not shaking when I drive in town, no matter how long I drive, but when I take it to open road and drive in constant speed of 90-120 km/h, even for a very short period of time, when I stop, it is shaking much more and then, after a minute or two, is calm again :confused::confused::confused:. Now I put 100 octane petrol, but I don`t see how it could affect on calm idle.
Anyway, the sound in previous video isn`t coming from the engine itself, but some parts outside the engine. I have to change engine and gearbox oil, brakes and front wheel bearings and than car will be like in 1985 :cool:

Hey. Did you solve shaking problem?

Hello! Yes, the problem was in carburator. So first, try to repair it. If the car was out of the rod for a very long time, check ignition, fuel pump, fuel filter also.

Back