Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 GTL wanted.

whatdyamacallit

Hi,

When we were first married and living in London we had a wonderful white R4 which took us EVERYWHERE.:hug: All we needed to do was put the occasional set of new tyres on it (the chassis may have been a bit out). I'm not sure whether it was a GTL as the front seats were separate but we did have the cute hockey-stick gear change. We sold it in 1983 for a R14 because the doors kept getting out of alignment and we got fed up with bailing out up to 6" of water from the rubber matted interior before we could drive it.:rolleyes: Now we live in a dryer climate (NZ) and would LOVE to own something similar once more.

So I guess we're looking for a white GTL, late 70s/ early 80s, larger engined version with 4 speed g.box. I'd be willing to fly over to take a look if the right model appears.

Oh yeah, we have this funny ruling over here that only RHD cars are allowed. (You can have LHD classics, but try to get insurance on them!). I seem to recall a friend of mine who worked at a Renault garage - who did all my servicing at the time - saying there were LHD to RHD conversion kits ?

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Suggest you search on ebay uk for starters and I'm sure that people will let you know if they see anything in their locality. You are restricting yourself for wanting a white one though.

You can't get a kit to convert a LHD to RHD but it can be done by cutting out a RHD bulkhead and welding it into a LHD body plus you will need things like a RHD steering rack etc.

Thanks for the welcome, Steve. I guess it doesn't have to be white, but I need it to be as good a condition as poss as spares in this part of the world will be scarce as hen's teeth! Being mostly agricultural, we fix anything with a bit of fencing wire and some Kiwi ingenuity so one would have thought R4s and 2CVs would have outsold anything here - had they been on sale. Instead, folks love their 4 ltr Fords and Holdens but hey, it's a beautiful place and the R4 will give us the opportunity to see it at a pace it deserves.

Thanks for the welcome, Steve. I guess it doesn't have to be white, but I need it to be as good a condition as poss as spares in this part of the world will be scarce as hen's teeth! Being mostly agricultural, we fix anything with a bit of fencing wire and some Kiwi ingenuity so one would have thought R4s and 2CVs would have outsold anything here - had they been on sale. Instead, folks love their 4 ltr Fords and Holdens but hey, it's a beautiful place and the R4 will give us the opportunity to see it at a pace it deserves.

Take a look at the Renospeed website. Derek is somebody who may inspect a car for you and bring it up to scratch before you export it. Also spares are available and they can be posted to you - so no need for fence wire to bodge it up!!

Back