Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 gtl wanted

Robin85

Enthusiast
Hello everyone

New member here, my first post!
I have wanted a Renault 4 since I was about 8 I reckon - the result of childhood holidays in France during the 90's, however for whatever reason I have never bought one, I have had a few other classics - indeed i currently own a triumph spitfire 1500 (currently sorn) and a Porsche 924 as my daily driver, but never a R4. Having just returned from France I have decided to finally fulfill my desire and actually buy a R4!

Hence my post in the wanted section. I'm looking to buy a GTL - or at least a car with the 1108cc engine as it is to be my daily driver, I would prefer one with an MOT, however if it's just failed an MOT I'd definately consider it. I've got up to £2000 (for a really really good example) to spend and would consider px with my porsche if anyone wants a bit of german frolliking fun?! (she's a minter completely original)

I eagerly await :) (forgot to say would definately consider Lhd and going to france to collect)

Robin

Hello Robin, if it helps I live in Banbury too! Well just outside but U know what I mean!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with buying the car of your childhood dreams!

I'm the same I bought mine nearly three years ago and haven't looked back since!

Mine is a very tatty rough but sound in chassis Ex French Police car!

picture.php

She's very rough and ready but I love driving round in her!

I also meant to say, BUY the very best you can afford, with the least amount of rust and corrosion you can find! Then protect it very well with Waxoyl type stuff and you;ll be fine! Buying one from France is the best way to go about it as our salt ridden winter roads crucify the poor things!

The best site for searching is http://www.leboncoin.fr/ and good luck!!

Hi Pepper

Thanks for the advice and website - I hadn't come across that one before. Your 4 looks great! in fact a blue or yellow 4 is the colour i'm ideally after!!

I've been trying to research exactly what is needed (ie paperwork) to buy a car in france and drive it to the UK, all realisticly in the space of a weekend. I cant work out if i would need to pay VAT, or if registering the car in the uk would mean i would have to lose the french plates. I've googled this a lot, but cant find an straightforward answer. Did you encounter any problems bringing it in from france?

Robin

Oh and forgot to say, good to know there is another R4 fan so nearby! I havent seen one on the road for a long time (last one I remember a red GTL living in Bloxham a few years ago)...so I guess I must be just missing you!

I'll probably sell mine for 500€. It's in Slovenia, yes still EU.
You have pictures in my profile.

Explanation follows in the evening or tomorrow.

If the cars over 20 years old like all our cars are then its a piece of cake! If its under 10 years old like my wife's Twingo is when it starts becoming difficult!

All you have to do is drive over get it MOT'd need RH drive headlights, swap foglight over to other side and need MPH marking on speedo and you're sorted there!

The take the Carte Gris (if bought in France) or other registration document and the MOT and a copy of your insurance upto the registrations house in Oxford where they'll take a fee off you for registering the car and either six or 12 months RFL and within a week you'll have a new reg document, ring insurance up and swap the plate details over and off you go!

Piece of Cake!

Mm 500€ where's the pictures godlike?

The one in my photo album named Pixna.

It's a 1992 made in Slovenia. I'm the second owner, the firs was my grandfather.
MOT till 3/2011, 69000 km.

In the last year repaired: new wings, changed oil, filter all three, gearbox oil, belts. Last month I put on new right lower ball joint, left upper ball joint & both swivel bearings (says haynes), gaiter says hanyes(the rubber thing on steering rack).

I came to a problem with the outer well arch liners. So if I don't go for repair it's for sale.
All other parts of the chasis are OK. I'll take a photo later & if requested I can make a photo of the underneath.

Last edited:
Pepper - thanks again for your help, so does that mean you can keep the french plates on your car?

Godlike - Your 4 looks very nice! Any more pictures of the chassis and wheel arch, or any other rusty or dented areas would be really helpful! My only concern to be honest that it is quite far away... thanks for getting back to me

Robin

Hi Robin, it means that you lose the French plates and pay for a new set of UK plates! If you don't change them over and chance driving around with the French plates on, you get 6 months, then if they catch you driving it after that they can impound it.

Godlike - Your 4 looks very nice! Any more pictures of the chassis and wheel arch, or any other rusty or dented areas would be really helpful! My only concern to be honest that it is quite far away... thanks for getting back to me

Robin

I'll be fully honest in this description, I don't want to sell the car giving false details.
From London to my town is 300 more km then to Marseille

I'll decide this week if I sell the car or not. I'll decide on wednesday.

I done on the car: (in the last 2000 km)
-air, oil, gasoline filter
-gearbox & engine oil
-break pads front
-new front wings & fully repaired the rust on the inner wings(have the color mixed and the hardener, I'll give it with the car)
-sparks
-drive belts
-right lover & left uper ball joints
-both swivel bearings
-new air tube, to connect the air-filter with exhaust in the winter
-new summer tires

The car is a:
-1992 model
-first owner grandfather, second me
-68440 km
-garaged

The car problems:
-a little rust under the rear driver-side.
-left outer wheel arch liner is rusted through
-left outer wheel arch liner is rusted
-the gearbox need a change of the driveshaft "semering". Want to do this this weak but found out the weel-arch problem. You only need to pull out the driveshaft and change them and put it back together. Ain't an expensive thing.

I think for 500€ the car is a good catch.

Pictures will be added today in my profile.
Pictures are up.

Last edited:
@Robin85:

I decided today not to sell my R4, and go on with repairs because I want to keep it in memory of my grandfather.

I drew it today to repairs. Should be done this week. Photos will follow.

Fair enough Godlike, hope the repairs go well.

So...I'm still on the hunt and scouring the internet like mad!

the search continues...

Hi Robin,
Have you found one? Got no reply to my last post to you so presume you have or you have lost interest!

I think robin is talking 4L's with Pepper as they are local to each other.

Back