Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 in Films

RichardIRL

Enthusiast
There's a new film out called Team America: World Police (I think that's what its called).

Its an animated film, and they took the trouble to animate a Renault 4 in the first scene (in Paris).

Its one of the only cars they bothered to animate so interesting.

The film was made by the makers of South Parkk

Two other films to look out for if you want to see R4s on screen are Romancing The Stone, and Traffic.

If my memory serves me correctly, in the former Danny De Vito drives an R4 around the jungle somewhere in South America in pursuit of the bloke from The Streets of San Francisco who married that stupid Welsh woman (I can't remember what either of them is called, but someone out there will know who I mean...). I don't remember much about the plot, but I think the R4 pops up fairly regularly throughout the film.

The second film, Traffic, is an absolute must-see for R4 lovers, as the star is none other than an F4 van! It was made in 1971 by French director Jacques Tati, and is a really cool film. The basic plot is that the Renault has to be delivered from Paris to the Amsterdam motor show, but the lorry gets lost, breaks down, etc. and the whole thing becomes a bit of a farce. I don't know whether it's available on DVD, but if it is it's definitely worth seeing.

I seem to recall there being quite a few R4s in the film of The Day of the Jackal too - too many, probably, as although as the film is set c.1963 it was filmed about ten years later with little thought for clearing the streets of post-63 cars.

Are there any other fims out there with R4s in a starring role?

La Poste

I went to see Traffic when it appeared on the Cinema in the early 1970's. I'm a great fan of Jacques Tati. I saw it again when Channel 4 came on our screens and I have desperately been trying to buy the video without success. If it's on a DVD even better. I believe there's a uncut version as well.

If anybody can help me find a copy, I'll be eternally grateful.

Steve

Last summer i was paid to drive my wifes R4 around a at various speeds and all this was recorded by a sound engineer for a forthcoming french film that had a R4 as one of the films main stars.The title of the film was at the time undecided but i strongly suspect that the film never made it to the cinema or even onto a DVD .

Lets see............
There was some late 60's/early 70's film with Catherine Denueve as a frustrated housewife (not Belle du Jour)- she drove a white R4 in that. Can't remember its title. "The Return of the Pink Panther" had the jewel thief character making his getaway from somewhere in North Africa in a white R4, and a later one had some R4 police cars, 102 Dalmations features a late model blue one as a paris taxi(!!!) in a car chase. There is a great French ganster movie from the late 60s- "Le cercle rouge" with heaps of R4s in it..........
...AND..

Hiyao Miyazaki's "Castle of Cagliostro" is an animated film with some R4s and various other french and italian cars depicted in it

"Rugrats in Paris" even has an R4 or two drawn in.

Not starring an R4, but quite a few are featured as well as numerous other period Renaults (early 70's), get a copy of C'etait un Rendezvous by Claude Lelouche. It has recently been re-released (i think by Spirit Level Films) on DVD and is worth every penny!!

just remembered- a very funny recent French film called "Les Visiteurs". A French knight gets transported from the 12th Century and the first thing he encounters is a Renault 4 poste van, which he attacks thinking its a dragon.

Les Visiteurs is such a cool film! By pure coincidence my ex-post office R4 van looks suspiciously like the one in the film just after it's been attacked... I really must get around to rebuilding it one day.

Does anyone remember a dodgy series on ITV about 15 years ago called Boon? It revolved around Michael Elphick (not sure about the spelling) and Neil Morrisey riding around Birmingham on old motorbikes (a BSA and a Norton Commando possibly?), but I seem to recall that in the third or maybe fourth series Ken Boon's secretary always drove an R4. Several R4s, in fact, as I seem to recall a yellow one (jaune tournesol / sunflower yellow - the coolest colour for an R4) and a dark blue one, one of which had an awful looking DIY rear wiper fitted. I think at least one got written off on film when it was squashed by something, possibly in a scrapyard?

La Poste

I finally got to see Team America. Its basically Gerry Anderson-style puppets with lashings of gratuitous sex and violence :twisted: . The puppets/cars are 1/3 scale and sure enough, there's a blue 4GTL in the opening thirty seconds or so which is in Paris. They also have a Citroen DS.

Two other films starring a R4: Where eskimos live, the film is situated on former Yugoslavia and the star actor choosed a red GTL over a Lada Niva in order to make a trip. It has been "made" to look in bad condition, it has bent bumpers, no grille etc but it should be a late model as it has the latest dashboard. It has a rather long role, but sadly, it is crushed by a tank at the end...
The other film is "Xenia", it is a Greek production of 1988 where a couple travels from Athens to Andalucia on a yellow R4, it plays a major role... I have been trying to find this film on video for two years but perhaps it has not been recorded on video

I just saw white R4 F6 in "National Lampoon's European Vacation" from 1985 starring Chevy Chase. They are in Paris and their camera gets stolen, in the background there is a white F6.

P.S. Actually there are few more R4's in the streets :)

Here is a cut off a finnish police comedy series from 1982, guess what the police tries to do and what happens to his lips in freezing conditions when he tries to melt down car locks by blowing warm air to door metal handle??

In a bridge to far there is a scene with a completely wrecked Renault 4 after 2;01 hours77E1C3C6-765C-4D55-9170-6264DA0B49DE.png

I went to see Traffic when it appeared on the Cinema in the early 1970's. I'm a great fan of Jacques Tati. I saw it again when Channel 4 came on our screens and I have desperately been trying to buy the video without success. If it's on a DVD even better. I believe there's a uncut version as well.

If anybody can help me find a copy, I'll be eternally grateful.

Steve
Traffic is definitely available on DVD, I bought one about a year ago from Amazon. It's an odd film but entertaining.

Here is a cut off a finnish police comedy series from 1982, guess what the police tries to do and what happens to his lips in freezing conditions when he tries to melt down car locks by blowing warm air to door metal handle??
Sorry, i forgot the video

In the new Top Gear episode 28 guys are traveling to forbidden town trough mountain roads, there is a light blue GTL

Last edited:
Back