Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 s in Canada

bsccoc

Hello all, I am coming very close to buying a 4 as a stable mate for my Mini and Hillman. I know of 3 over here, one really nice one in Alberta, one in a scrap yard in Saskatchewan and the one I am thinking of buying.

Having spent two weeks for two years in a row in Spain, I became aware of these lovely little cars and always thought it would be a neat car to own. Up on my return to Canada i visited a friend in a Brit Car club I belong to and low and behold what did he have in his compound but a Renault 4, allbeit a little worn, but its available.

I plan to see it again over the next few days and maybe we can put a deal together. Interestingly enough both of the 4's I have seen over here have had plywood applied to the floors, maybe a local oddity.

stay tuned
best regards Roger

Hi Roger,

The plywood floors are an interesting mod. If you send a photo over I can append it to this post.

Renault 4s must be very unusual in Canada. I understood they were imported to Canada up until the 1970s when Renault gave up trying to sell stuff over there. Or something like that. Do you know the background to this?

looking 4 an R4

Hi Roger,

I am very interested in any of the R4s you may be aware of. I live in Creston, BC and had an R4 in 1978/79 which was a delight. Please let me know where I might look at any of the ones you found.

Keenly - kM

R4 in Canada

Hi Malcolm,

R4 in Canada was terrific. Because we are bi-lingual country with the province of Quebec Renault seemed to be doing well here.
When I wrote to the Renault Canada headquarters, they sent me an R4 service manual for no charge and lent me a 35 mm film about 4 women who drove 2 R4s from Alaska to Tierra del fuego.
I was a counsellor at a medium security large federal jail at the time and the guys inside really liked watching the attractive women and their travel exploits.
Have you known of the film?

Smile on,
kootenayMatt

It is a well-known Renault 4 "deed" today, after all these books and web stuff. One of these cars still survives and is in the hands of Renault History and Collections. Check for "Renault 4 Elle".

It seems that Canada has the higher percentage of Plein Air survivors than any other country, too, after some 20 of them had been sent there in the early '70s for an international exhibition.

Back