Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 vs Citroen 2CV

both of these iconic French cars are fun practical petrol efficient and evoke friendly responses from the least likely of folk, and lots of the more likely.

Having driven and loved both over the years I'd say there is not a lot to choose in driving experience, both were designed for the same customer base, more or less.

Where things differ now is the ease of getting parts for 2cvs from chassis down to silly things like interior trim and radiator grilles.#

And in the very healthy resale value of good 2cvs of all ages compared to Renault 4s.

Not a lot of people know that Citroen actually took the Regie to court as they reckoned that the 2cv had been plagiarised lock stock and barrel [they lost]

And Renault did launch a rather nasty targeted attack on the 2cv at the time of the launch of the quatrelle, ridiculous trade in deals on 2cv that made no other commercial sense other than an ugly attempt to gain sales not for worthy of the obvious qualities of the new little car.

Remember, in an earlier period Louis Renault was a bitter rival of Andre Citroen, who he[with some justification] looked on as a jumped up Johnny come lately on the French motoring scene in 1919.

And he was pretty vituperative about the Traction Avant parts of which surfaced in the quatrellle's suspension.

He said that one of the worst things that he did was to take André Citroen on a tour of the Billancourt works which he had spent the previous 10 years modernising, followed by a slap up dinner at the ritzy Tour Argent overlooking the Eiffel Tower[Google it, prices make your eyes water!].

This resulted, at a time of gathering economic depression, in André Citroen tearing down the aging Javel works that dated back to his shell production during the Great war, which coupled with crippling costs in the development of the Traction Avant and his profligate gambling habits which had depleted his own ability to bring to bear monies of his own to keep going...and led to his humiliating downfall and sad premature death from stomach cancer when the Michelin company had taken over after a steering wheel manufacturer had brought the company to administration...and such was the right wing prejudice amply shown by Renault that Le petite jeuf de Javel was not to be given govt help to stave off bankcrupcy.

All this sad history has at least given us two very satisfying and fun to drive cars...pick one of them naa both great cars in their own ways, that raise a smile from all their drivers!!!

Confession

My apologies about the block - it is certainly a unique engine to have what look like wet-liners in a cast iron block.

I'm afraid I've got both a R4 and a 2CV and both are unique cars and have their own appeal. My first car was a L with three forward gears and I'll always remember it. My second was a R4TL and it was every bit as good. Some years later I had a 2CV so really I'm reliving my youth again at the ripe old age of 63. I love driving both in comparison to modern day bland cars. Does anyone else agree?

Jack the Rev

:D

59014117932150091417644.jpg

R4s are cool because they're less obvious than 2CVs, and so a bit more anarchic. Everyone has got a 2CV, or knows someone who had one once, but R4s are for the connosieur (I used to know someone who thought that my R4 was a 2CV...)! And they've got those funny little handles attached to the front wings, which are the last word in automotive chic! They're a really cool shape with nice detailing too, and the hidden interior door handles are always a laugh when the uninitiated can't work out how to get out. That the steering wheel is in a sensible position (unlike the 2CV's, which feels like a bus steering wheel) is an added bonus. They're better for carrying stuff (2CVs are surprisingly small inside, and the only usefully-sized opening is the roof - not much help if you want to carry something heavy as well as bulky), and you don't have to grease the R4's kingpins every 1500 miles. Tyres are cheap too (unlike 2CV tyres, which are a funny size unique to the Citroen and thus bloody expensive).

2CVs are cool because they make a nicer noise, are easier to work on, and you can get parts for them (you could build a brand new 2CV from parts straight off the shelf). The 2CV engine is also one of the best designs in the history of the universe; expensive to make, but a true thoroughbred, and utterly indestructible - almost a grand prix engine in miniature. A 2CV is also faster than an 845cc R4, and much less tiring on a long journey, and they were designed to run on unleaded fuel (useful these days).

I used to commute fairly regularly between Ringwood (Hampshire) and Coventry, which is 150 miles each way, almost exclusively on motorways and dual-carriageways. My 2CV and R4 (an 1108cc GTL) both used to manage it easily, although the R4 would do the journey in marginally less time. I once drove nearly 7000 miles from Hampshire to Lisbon and back in the 2CV (via Montpellier, Andorra, Barcelona, Valencia, Costa del Sol, Gibraltar, Sevilla, the Algarve, etc.). That sort of journey in some cars would make you never want to see one again for the rest of your life, but I'd happily do it again in the 2CV. I've not tried it in an R4 yet...

The ultimate would be a hybrid combining the best features of each car, but failing that, one of each (which is what I've got).
:cool:
Hi,
Please allow me to echo your sentiments.
I frequently drive from the Algarve to West Wales in
R4s, arriving home "fresh as the proverbial.....".
I'm sure you'll agree that the recipe for tireless motoring (regardless of make and model) is getting totally comfortable before turning the key,

Regards

Neil you've just successfully resurrected a ten year old thread
Makes interesting reading so thank you for that ☺

Back