Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4's in Australia

Renault4 Hat

Enthusiast
I'm fishing for that Fern Tree Gully man..

G'day - I'm going to be over in March in Sydney, what's the story for Renault 4's down under, I don't really remember seeing any in the 10 years I was there, where are they hiding? Not all eaten by the crusher I hope?

they're swarming all over the place down here mate:p

There's maybe up to a dozen lurking around Melbourne. I don't know about Sydney - that's a 1,000Km away. But, like you, until recently I hadn't seen any getting around.

There's at least 4 or 5 locally that are going and in good nick and I think there's least another 4 or 5 being restored / awaiting restoration.

There's a few in Adders (Adelaide), at least one in Darwin but I don't know about Brissie (Brisbane) or Perth.

I've been thinking of getting a list or register of the Aussie R4's together - you've prompted me to get off my ass and get on with it.

I'll see if I can flush out any in Sydney.

Are you going to be anywhere else on your trip? You wouldn't really want to spend it all in that Sydney place would you?:)

Cheers, Geoff

they're swarming all over the place down here mate:p

There's maybe up to a dozen lurking around Melbourne. I don't know about Sydney - that's a 1,000Km away. But, like you, until recently I hadn't seen any getting around.

There's at least 4 or 5 locally that are going and in good nick and I think there's least another 4 or 5 being restored / awaiting restoration.

There's a few in Adders (Adelaide), at least one in Darwin but I don't know about Brissie (Brisbane) or Perth.

I've been thinking of getting a list or register of the Aussie R4's together - you've prompted me to get off my ass and get on with it.

I'll see if I can flush out any in Sydney.

Are you going to be anywhere else on your trip? You wouldn't really want to spend it all in that Sydney place would you?:)

Cheers, Geoff

Hey Geoff,
I remember when I arrived in Melbourne in March 99 the streets were like an episode of The Sweeney, just old cars everywhere, I half expected Regan to come flying around the corner. Changed quick though eh. It's good to hear some are getting about down there, I think in NSW stricter rego rules might mean some got killed off but I'm glad you are gonna get a register going, great idea. I can ask my mates in the VW community in Perth to keep an eye out too.
I might be down in Melbourne a couple of days, my plans aren't set in stone but I've got a VW to put together while I'm there in Sydney.

Be great to drive one while I'm there so I'll keep an eye out, I'll need some wheels.

Good to hear from you. I always think of the bloody ad for the garden centre when I hear Furn Tree Gully!
Simon

Hey Geoff,
I remember when I arrived in Melbourne in March 99 the streets were like an episode of The Sweeney, just old cars everywhere, . . .

Simon

Well you could be seeing even more this time round. The State Govt introduced a 'club permit' registration for 'classic and historic' cars which allows you to register your car for 45 or 90 days use at a price of around 1/8 or 1/4 that of normal rego. You just need to be a member of a car club and make an entry in a log book each day you use your car.

It's a sweet deal specifically intended to get these kinds of cars out and about and doing their thing. 90 days is like nearly every weekend! At those prices you could have 4 old cars and rotate their use to cover a whole year!

I'm just starting to see more with this rego getting around, I guess as they move off their prior registration basis.

Let us know when you're going to be in Melb and I'm sure we could organise something.

Brisbane?

There are definitely 3 fine examples in Brisbane, 2 are mine and a third, very fine daily driving, one resides within 10 miles. One is an Aussie delivered one and one is a decap.
I do not know of any post 70 models but would love one, 4 speed 1100cc and newer driveshafts are very enticing.

Tell us if you are coming to Brisbane!!

c'mon Geoff let's see the thread on AF with the register, and everyone has to put lots of gory details about their blue jeans.

there was an Australian build up here which I had the chance to pick up, but stalled as I was stuck for space, it was free but pretty far gone rust wise, good for parts though and the bugger who had it sold it for $90 promoting it in the local rag as an ideal chook house. I had very bad thoughts about his health there momentarily.

Anyway at least I'm saving one. Bogging the rear door for painting at the moment, very tedious stuff. Good tip though is to lightly spray patched areas so you can actually see how level the sanding is. A panel beater passed that onto me and it's sped up the process enormously, lost in the woods before that.

Aussie Frogs R4 Register

Well chaps, it's a go.

There's an R4 Register thread now established on Aussie Frogs. Everyone who has an R4 of any kind must add a post for each one of their cars.

Well, actually it's not 'must' since it's voluntary but you know what I mean.It's a moral thing;):o

Spread the word, hopefully we'll find more out there that we think!

Geoff

Back