Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4TL Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Marshall

Enthusiast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpQ5JQxH304

I have just finished work on Colin and he is now looking for a new owner.

Just spent £2,400 bringing him up to beautiful spec. Money spent on welding to chasis, two new rear quarters, new rear bumper, strip down and respray.

He now is in beautiful nick and ready to roll.

The previous owner put on new front wings and bonnet. The doors, floors roof, rear door etc are all in excellent condition.

The chasis is very good and very solid (highly praised at the MOT).

He is not full of filler. Everything about him is good.

The engine is very good, runs well, pulls well and is niether smokey or noisy.

The gear box is sweet as a nut.

The clutch and steering perfect.

Brakes are perfect.

If you're looking for a beautiful car that will look after you then Colin's the car.

Colin has been a much cared for car. There are to my knowledge five minor bits worth need noting.

1. The radio is not original and does not work.
2. The top of the arial, which looks original has been broken off (as shown).
3. The chrome strip in the rear drivers side door has surface rust (as shown).
4. There is a very small tear to the inside of the sun roof on the inside (as shown) - this could be glued down.
5. There is a chip hole in the front screen (as shown).

He has the easy to use fatory fitted sun roof that works in seconds and doesn't leak.

The cars interior is very good for his age, it has no rips tears, damaged or worn bits.

The floor pan is rust free and very good.

All the lights work as should.

The heater and fan works.

He has a new battery, all windows open and close and don't leak.

All doors lock as should.

This car will look after you if you look after him. he is a great example of the car.

Contact through the site or call on 01233860191

Engine Size: 1,108 cc
Mileage: 69701
MOT til: Feb 2012
Registered 15 Aug 1985

Price: £4,400 seems about the right price

Andy

ps the You Tube clip makes the car look very turquoise, he is green.

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,089
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,057
  • _DSC0275.jpg
    _DSC0275.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,056
  • _DSC0356.jpg
    _DSC0356.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,064
Last edited:
Hi Andy, i think you might struggle with the price at this time of year, mainly because people are starting to think about summer holidays and saving for the big renault 4 event in Thenay. If i could sell the ones i buy, repair and sell on at £3k i would be laughing all the way to the bank, however most people just want a good clean and tidy, polished and shiny, run-about that is solid underneath and is serviced and up to spec. £2k - £2.5k is about all people will part with for a 4L.

I know its probably worth every penny its just abit rich for most of us renault 4 nuts on here. Very nice car and i love the sunroof too.

michael

Hi Andy

Good luck, for your sake and all of us! Mine is in excellent condition but part of the appeal to the R4 fraternity is affordability. Interest is nudging prices up and Thenay can only spark more coverage. Simply the demand at the moment isn't that great and supply just about meets it - I agree with Mike.

Those with good cars tend to hold on or sell to friends/forum.

Then again, if someone has money, a Royal newly wed or banker perhaps (!) , they might look beyond the price for the sheer joy of owning. You may be lucky!

Best of luck. We're all looking on with (vested) interest! Those with Agreed Values written into their Insurance especially so!

Cheers

PS I love the sunroof. Maybe I'll add one to mine!

I agree the price is a bit high but we need to realise as the R4 owners that they are moving from cheap daily drivers to a wider audiance who are collectors and often want cars to go to events such as Thenay.
To produce a true show car would cost thousands of pounds.
I would consider my own GTL a very good car but not a show car yet to get it into the present condition including buying it has cost me more than 5K.
The other thing that makes the difference is how much you can do yourself, if you have to pay painters and welders add 2to 3 grand to any car.
I met a vey nice young couple at a show last year who had paid £3500 for a very sound car but needed work on every panel and paint.
I think aspiring owners should be looking at £3500 for a sound tidy car that can go straight into use and to shows and more for a true show car.
As you say owners of really good cars tend not to sell them and never will if they do not get a fair return.

Very good points, thanks. The article in Classic Car and Sportscar (out at the end of June) will create some interest. The journalism will be sensational , take it from me! Best part of the day was being driven by Andrew (journalist) and hearing his verdict as we bounced along the New Forest lanes near Beaulieu. He must have driven so many different cars but I felt he had a genuine soft spot for our favourite!

I'd never considered the 'Show car' aspect but it is great to arrive and belong at events. And brag! Worth even more for that experience alone :p

I feel like I've fallen into the company of gypsies... nice motor Mush, worth about £900. I'll give you £800 cash.
This is not a polished up, just about knocked together, filled with pudding second car run around. This is a beautiful finished car in excellent condition. It will give its owner great delight.
If what you're looking for is a cheap knock about talk to Mike, this is not your car, this is a well finished, well looked after car that will hold its value and not lumber you with hidden costs as the bits drop off and rust re-appears.
In this life you get what you pay for £4,400 is what I paid for Colin and I think that is what I would like to get back.
Guys please feel free to buy all these excellent quality vehicles you talk of for less but I haven't seen any on this site that meet that description.
Andy

Woooaaaaaaaaaa! And careful what you say about ethnic groups here!

We wish you luck! Let the market, not us, decide. But you have entered the forum so please expect some discussion. It's all well intentioned.

Once again, good luck with Colin.

I think you need to read comments more carefuly my comments were supporting you.
You also need to look at all the cars on the site before pulling them down.
I have seen two of Malcom's and some of Dereks cars in the flesh which were superb and worth more than you are asking.
In any event we need to encourage all R4 enthusiasts both with large and small budgets so that we all get pleasure from what we do.
My own car is is not too dissimilar to yours.
4f088abc8b8b0391e45d70e30afbb3ff_842.jpg

I agree, Let the market decide the price, How much is something worth, it's worth what someone will pay, A lot of people thought i was barking mad last year, when i offered €5,000, for a renault 4, stuck in serbia, Unfortunate the guy was hard work, so the deal went breasts up, I'm looking every day for the ultimate out of the box R4, One day maybe, but the price will shock, I'm sure,

Alternative Advertising...

Hi Andy,
I think Colin looks nice but can't help agreeing with everyone that its worth what someone is willing to pay, which is why I think the answer is marketing him at the 'right' type of buyer. Looking back over previous posts there has recently been some debate over the whys and wherefores of 2cv prices strongly heading upwards of late while R4's are trailing behind.

I'm really a 2cv'er myself (2cv Errr 8/R4 1) and all the quality stuff finds its way onto a website called 2cvtv.com while the tatty crap floats about on ebay. I think you'd be well off asking the guy who runs it (I'm pretty sure hes called Dick Roberts) if you can put an ad up for Colin. I always think people in the market for a good 2cv would consider an R4 if one came along (as what they really are after is a quirky French lifestyle type car), and if you put Colin up for £4,400 there he won't look out of place in amongst the £4 - 7k restored 2cv's. An ad is only £6 and lasts for two months so I'd think it worth a punt...

Good Luck!

Interesting thread.

Andy, I find your attitude a bit odd if I'm honest. You've had some honest, friendly advice from people who know what they are talking about and your response to this is fairly unpleasant. Certainly if I was in the market for a good R4 that alone but would me off...

Anyway, a few points of interest on here.

I'd agree that at this point in time the car is probably overvalued at £4400. You've had it on here a while and on eBay twice so I would think that most people who are in the market for an R4 have probably seen it. That said, R4s are increasing in value. As others have said the C&SC article, Thenay and other bits of interest will give the model more exposure and hopefully bring out more buyers and increase values. In terms of selling yours, I'd be getting an ad in the C&SC issue when the article comes out (end of June) as that should give you a decent chance.

Otherwise, if you want £4400 for it then you might have to sit on it a few months. Maybe take it take La Vie En Bleu / WSR at Silverstone with a For Sale sign or at the very least just hang on and readvertise it come July / August. Once all the articles and Thenay stauff happens then you've a far better chance of selling.

Secondly, I find the personal attack on Michael very distasteful. I've seen the standard of his work and I wouldn't consider it to be 'cheap knock about' as it is done to a very good standard. Hell, I even bought a car off him and I''m not the sort of person who can tolerate cars that don't do what they are supposed to.

Thirdly - values. As I say, they are increasing. I'm not yet convinced that a decent but requiring work R4 is £3k (if it is though, I have a very nice red GTL that I'd happily let go for £3k :mrgreen: ) The days when you could buy a good GTL for £500 are behind us but you can get decent cars for less than £2k, a lot do change hands without ever being offered for sale so just because you don't see them on eBay or wherever doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I don't honestly see the day when an R4 will be worth the same as a 2CV tbh, like it or not 2CVs have a lot bigger following, spares back up etc which keeps prices (too) high.

Just my 2p worth...

Woooooah, (Malcolm keep an eye on this thread please)

Hang on there matey, pour yourself another, I was not knocking your car in any way, i think its lovely! All i was saying is for most of us on here, i think its out of our price range, sadly - mainly because people (from my own personal experiance, and correct me if i am worng people, please) opt for reasonable, usable daily driver's which if they get a scratch on or a ding on and we can touch up and not worry to much about.

I appreciate the fact that yours has had alot of money and time spent on it as have quite a few cars on this forum and they all look fantastic. I myself have a very early van that will no doubt cost lots of £££ the only difference if i wont sell it after it done because i will do all the work myself and it becomes a labour of love in my eyes.

But be careful what you accuse people of. I am not offended by what you say but go any further and you might do yourself no favours. I am fairly confident that the members of this forum who have bought vehicles from me AND who's vehicles i have repaired will agree that they are not cheap bangers from the local scrappy, i put alot of time and effort into bringing them up to scratch. I dont just blow it over with a paint tin from the local DIY shop and ask £££

( plus i would have removed the headlamps first, they only clip in) :p

Generally speaking people advertising cars on here are not interested in advice. Insults are exchanged and the thread ends in argument.

Anyone interested in the car can private message the opening poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back