Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 7

gpovanman

More than a 4 is excess!
I bought a Renault 1980 7 some 18 months ago with just 15,000 kms on the clock, and just one lady owner from new, and although my everyday driver (a 1990 R4Clan) has been pictured a lot, I though I might post a picture of it on here. Whilst it is a 7 and not a 5, I thought that it would be better off in here because at the end of the day, it is just a 5 with a boot. One question that I have is that the gearchange seems to be very sloppy. Is this normal with 5s of this era, or is there some fix necessary? Thanks in advance!

• Photo0055[1].jpg
    Photo0055[1].jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 265
I had a '77 r5 as my first car in 1988, had a similar problem, I recall going to a Renault dealer and buying a small bush which fitted on the bottom of the gearstick, that solved the problem!

Nice car by the way:cool:

Thanks for your reply, and apologies for the lateness of mine! It's a lovely car to drive, and with us having the climate that we do over here, it means that many cars that went to the scrapyard many years ago in the UK are still in daily use over here to this day!

If its floor change there are 2 nylon bushes at the lower end of the gearstick which wear and a bush on the side of the gearbox linkage whick also wears. This bush is not available but i have replaced mine with an 8(?)mm ball joint and it works fine. The stick bushes are slightly tapered but an engineer could turn some up.
allan

Back