Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault Kangoo 1.2 petrol timing belt snapped help!!!!

garrymossley

Enthusiast
Hello everyone

I was just driving down the motorway and the van died on me, recovery chap said looks like the timing belt has snapped, starter spinning over very fast , thats all.

What dammage will it have done ? :confused:

WILL IT JUST HAVE SNAPPED THE BELT AND STOPPED OR COULD THE DAMMAGE BE WORSE ,VALVES ETC The van is 1998 1.2 petrol model

Thankyou
Regards
Garry

If the timing belt snapped at motorway speeds then the valves will have been bent. There is a fair chance of damage to the cylinder head, pistons and bores too, though it would be difficult to assess the exact damage without first removing the cylinder head.

Thanks clementine,

I was doing about 40mph up hill , in the worse cinario how much cash do you think id after part with? van probably worth a grand, may get a fresh one if expensive repair.

Cheers
Garry

Thanks

I have no idea how much the repair would cost. Finding someone who'll be able to find and fit a secondhand engine might limit the maximum cost if there is a lot of damage. Best to get someone to check the engine over and find out what needs doing. Probably they'd have to remove the cylinder head to find out what the damage is.

valves will be gone, I assume its the 1.2 DIET engine?

Probably looking at artound 250 minimum to repair at a garage.

Where are you located?

Back