Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault R4 F6 from Spain

x-molich

Enthusiast
Hi folks,

like I posted here I have bought a Renault R4 F6 in Spain. When I was a child I spent many holidays on a nice campsite in Spain. Having children on my own we started to go there again. And there it was the Renault F6 form the campsite painted by the ninety years old owner himself.

We found it like in the first picture.

Preparation for the transport in the second, at home in the third and on the fourth together with some other beauties.

Regards Sascha
P6070356.JPG P6230312.JPG P6280003.JPG P6280001.JPG

Hi again,

it took another year to start working on this car. My son and me have disassembled most of it . As far as corrosion at th chassis is concerned it doesn't look too bad but we will see.
The car wasn't used for some years before we bought it. It was horribly neglected before. In the cooling pipes we found something like crystals.
We took out the engine and disassembled it.

Regards

Sascha

PB110951.JPG

PB110950.JPG

Hi Sascha.

Welcome to the forum. Amazingly I also have an Renault 4 F6 van identical to yours, but a different colour and a little more bashed about by various people. In Catalunya they are known as F6 com vidre (with glass), but are known in France as estates. Do you have the rear seats that go with it. The passenger front seat is unique to these vans in that it folds forwards to give access into the rear.

I also own a Unimog, but a 406. Once that has been tidied up I am taking it out to Spain.

I wish you all the best with your restoration. If the chassis is good, then the mechanical side is usually good, however check the front shock absorbers and suspension. Until recently, as you will probably remember, the Spanish roads weren't that good.

Hi Sascha,

lovely F6 that you have here, with this particular roof in Spain, higher than others countries. Looking at one of the pictures above, indeed, the engine seems to need "little" job :confused: :confused:

Good luck for the restoration, and continue to show us your car when the work goes on.

Hi,

the rear seats were not with the car. But I managed to buy them on ebay.

Yes the engine needs some "service" but I'm moving on.

I'm about to put the engine together. Will post some images soon.

Regards

Sascha

Hi Sascha..... We look forward to see your restoration picture!! The body is good no damage at all, Congratz! Welcome

Hello,

I have moved on with the engine. After cleaning and painting I'm on the way to assemble it. The bearings of the crankshaft are ok. The longitudinal play was in the middle so no need to do anything.

I measured the liners and although I could feel something with my fingers the wear was only 10 microns. I cleaned the pistons, honed the liners and put the pistons with new piston rings back in.
Now I wanted to mount the camshaft, chain and tensioner.

P4130226.JPG
P4130228.JPG

Now my problem: The bearing shown in the next image is worn. The camshaft has 0,1 mm play in up and down direction what seems too much to me.
Is this bearing available?
Does anybody have a spare parts list of this engine where this bearing is listed?
Any other ideas?

P4130229.JPG

Any help is appreciated!

Regards

Sascha

I can tell you for 688-712 1,1ccm engine from R4GTL (1128 model)

blok motora.JPG

It is part no:10 on picture with renault part no:7700512850
I have got it from local renault dealer and price was 26 kn (some 3,5€)

But i am not sure which engine is in your F6

Hi,

thank your for your reply. On my engine it is written "688-7/91". No idea what it really is. I doubt that Renault made this part different for each 1108 engine. For this price I will give it a try.

Regards

Sascha

I will need VIN number of your car and maybe i can find right part number for your engine!
Wont promise but will give it a try

According to literature that i have same bearing goes to C1C, C1E and 688 engines

engine block.JPG

But unfortunately can not find your engine suffix that "91"

Really do not know what that engine suffix mean in engine differences

This is my list of models and their engines
modeli i motori.JPG

modeli i motori1.JPG

Hi,

I haven't been for longer timer. Still doing a lot of work at my house.

I bought two bearings from Renault. They really were below € 4 per piece. I got it out with a simple tube.

P4250470.JPG
And out it is:

P4250471.JPG

Getting the new one in was a bit more tricky. I couldn't find a tool that fitted. So I had to be kind to the workshop personel of my company. I got a tool for this:

P5190506.JPG

And so it looks with the new bearing:
P5190507.JPG

After putting in the camshaft I measured a radial play of about 0,05mm. Still a lot to my feeling but better than before. Now I can go on assembling the engine.

Regards

Sascha

Hello,

after a nice summer with a lot of sailing and a lot of housebuilding activities I would like to go on assembling the engine.

I have a question:

Do I need new bolts for the connection rods? To me they look like jackscrews (right word?).

Thanks for the help

Sascha

Back