Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ronnie the Renault and the tick over blues.

It's worth checking a couple of things when you've got the top off the carburettor:

There's a filter you can get to via the hole with the blue arrow - it often gets blocked up - if you turn the top of the carb upside down and fill the hole with carb cleaner a few times, you'll be able to clean the filter.

If the jet with the yellow arrow gets blocked (they often are), the car won't run well. Carb cleaner on its own sometimes isn't enough - a bit of soft wire followed by carb cleaner does the job well.View attachment 26666
Cheers! Will check when the carb kit arrives.

It's worth checking a couple of things when you've got the top off the carburettor:

There's a filter you can get to via the hole with the blue arrow - it often gets blocked up - if you turn the top of the carb upside down and fill the hole with carb cleaner a few times, you'll be able to clean the filter.

If the jet with the yellow arrow gets blocked (they often are), the car won't run well. Carb cleaner on its own sometimes isn't enough - a bit of soft wire followed by carb cleaner does the job well.View attachment 26666
Does that apply to the Zenith 28 IF?

Well, cleaned the carb through and fitted the o/haul kit and zero improvement. Isolated the fuel side and ran it on a can with zero improvement. I'm running out of ideas now! I suppose its head off and look at the valves? There is about 10PSI difference between the front two and rear two cylinders.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received at this stage!

Hi there, I would say 130 PSI is quite acceptable, and if they are all around that, I wouldn't open that can of worms, well not just yet. Have you checked for any air leaks? Base of carb, and emission control pipes. The plastic tee-piece on the side of the carb can harden and split with age. With the engine running, spray everything with WD40 and see if the revs alter. Even a tiny air leak can make quite a difference. I feel your pain, because it feels like you are chasing your tail. I'm sure we've all been there. Hope this helps. Regards Brian.

Hi there, I would say 130 PSI is quite acceptable, and if they are all around that, I wouldn't open that can of worms, well not just yet. Have you checked for any air leaks? Base of carb, and emission control pipes. The plastic tee-piece on the side of the carb can harden and split with age. With the engine running, spray everything with WD40 and see if the revs alter. Even a tiny air leak can make quite a difference. I feel your pain, because it feels like you are chasing your tail. I'm sure we've all been there. Hope this helps. Regards Brian.

That T piece crumbled away, so made one using plumbing fittings! It seems ok and is much better than the one that was on it. Would like an original though. The carb has new gaskets.

Yes, it's very frustrating indeed. All my usual bodges just arnt working for me. Easy start around various locations was my next move. If that comes up zilch its head off I reckon.

A few random thoughts: worn or pitted points (check, clean or replace and reset) or a worn condenser. you can't tell by looking at it, only by substitution. HT leads in good order?

A few random thoughts: worn or pitted points (check, clean or replace and reset) or a worn condenser. you can't tell by looking at it, only by substitution. HT leads in good order?
I put those see through plugs on and there is a good spark. I static timed the engine and cleaned the points and rotor.

I will try running it in the dark to see if I can see if there is anything breaking down and arcing out.

Just throwing a random thought in after watching your video, as a random thought totally prepared to be told by more informed forum members it’s wrong but are your replacement fuel lines of the same internal diameter as standard?, just thinking if even slightly larger would this not affect the fuel pressure from the pump to carb at tickover, ie lower it slightly enough to cause tickover problems due to lower pressure from pump?, wouldn’t show as much when engine speeds up due to increase in pressure from pump and everything would ‘appear’ ok when checking.
It is a random thought!, as newer owners of old cars we never really know fully whats been done before ownership....

Just fitted a new condenser and ran it up. Still rough. No signs of arcing from what I could see.

Not likely to be hoses too large. Pressure is determined by the pump and flow at the carb end only.

I think you still need to unbolt the manifold(s) and check for flatness. A small deviation from dead flat can cause gasket to let air slip past.

Not likely to be hoses too large. Pressure is determined by the pump and flow at the carb end only.

I think you still need to unbolt the manifold(s) and check for flatness. A small deviation from dead flat can cause gasket to let air slip past.

Going to try the easystart/WD40 trick and check for leaks.

Hi Rusty, it sounds like you are on top of possible electrical problems, so as I suggested the leak test is next. The plastic tee piece is available from R-quatrelle.nl, as is the 1.5mm restrictor in the pipe from manifold to tee piece, and the 8mm one from rocker cover to tee piece. Great people to deal with, and being Dutch they can converse in English, which always helps if you have a query

Hi Rusty, it sounds like you are on top of possible electrical problems, so as I suggested the leak test is next. The plastic tee piece is available from R-quatrelle.nl, as is the 1.5mm restrictor in the pipe from manifold to tee piece, and the 8mm one from rocker cover to tee piece. Great people to deal with, and being Dutch they can converse in English, which always helps if you have a querie.
Brill! I'll have a deko on their site. Many thanks!

My apologies Rusty for giving you the wrong information earlier. The two restrictors in the emission set up are 1.3mm and 5mm. Regarding the flow of fuel, have you tried disconnecting the filter from the pump, and checking the flow while cranking the engine over? There maybe a blockage in the carb, although I believe you have stripped it down.

Back