Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Running on

Beige Belgian

Enthusiast
Hi, does anybody have any tips on how to stop the GTL engine running on? It does not happen every time but seems to be happening a fair bit.

Hi there. Does this happen particularly after a fast run, and the engine is really hot? If so it could be a build up of carbon in the combustion space, holding the heat, and causing the fuel to ignite even without a spark from the plugs. Of course a de-coke would be best, but a quick fix that might work is to spray some carb cleaner through the carb, revving the engine at the same time. It should shift some of the carbon. In the old days, Redex was used via the spark plug holes, so I guess their petrol additive might work too.

Have you set the ignition timing recently? If not it's probably that.

Ahh Brian, i remember those days, good old Redex in the plug holes leave overnight start it in the morning and stand well back and see the cr---come out, brings back memories.

Yes it worked every time. You used to see the Redex gun on the forecourt then didn't you. Attendant service in those days, a quids worth of Cleveland 5 star, with alcohol, and a shot of Redex in the tank. I must be getting old, starting to reminisce now.

Yes makes one feel old thinking about it, it also makes you think that in 40 years time our youngsters will be thinking these are the good old days, hmmm not sure about that.

No me neither. I reckon we saw the very end of the good old days of driving, when you could fix the car yourself, and not have to plug it in to a bloody computer. Handy things though, otherwise we wouldn't be chatting would we:D

very true, but regarding mechanics you're not going to sway me away from my 4's.

60s design, say no more. You've quite a collection I see, far too greedy Rob :D

Just wait until the weekend of the 29th June, my son (Berserk-gorilla) is getting married and there having R4's as wedding car's (pictures to follow, early July).

Yes that should be quite a sight, much better than the usual Rollers, very exclusive indeed. Now, where were we, oh yes running on. Hope our friend cures his problem.

Back