Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rx4 fuel consumption ?????

kerrianne

Hi guys new to the RX4, only owned it just over a week and had a few problems from the beginning. First off i have some questions about the MPG!!

I have an RX4 diesel 1.9 dci and my on-board comp says that i am only averaging around 18-19 mpg and i was wondering if by removing the proshaft would it make much difference as i had a Picasso diesel 2.0 and i was averaging around 45-50 mpg. So i was a bit disappointed by the RX4. After doing a good bit of reading on here i see some people have removed theres and i am just wondering what the out come was. Any help from you guys would be very much appreciated

The other problems i have had was a lack of power, just seemed as if the car had no oooomph what so ever, so changed the fuel and air filter and that seems to have helped so far. Then i had water appearing in my foot wells and after some reading on here seen it was most likely the drainage tubes were blocked so cleared them all out and hopefully that has worked.
I hope this is the end to the repairs for the near future.

Thanks in advance guys
Kerri

Hi Kerrianne, R4's used to use "Super" petrol and I bought my R4 when super was being discontinued. I've moved over to 95 but I have to add a lead additive to it otherwise my performance is terrible.

When last did you have your car tuned, points, plugs, timing etc?, because if you had no power and high fuel consumption you should do this first.

I stand corrected but you should be getting about 40 mpg

Sorry should have said it was a diesel in the first place. Its a1.9dci. I put £25 in fuel and so far have done 81 miles and am almost on the red R which i think is the reserve!! I was also wondering if re-mapping would also help and make a big difference.
I think the fuel consumption is ridiculous!!

You will undoubtedly get some help on this website; I've received so much help for even the smallest of problems.
When I read your post, I read RX4 as R4, which is my car. I'm totally clueless when it comes to Diesel, but you're right, 18-19mpg is ridiculous.
Good luck!

Hello Kerrianne,

Have you got a Renault RX4 (a type of Renault Scenic)? (As described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Sc%C3%A9nic#Sc.C3.A9nic_RX4)

This website is especially for the Renault 4 (which was made from about 1961 to the early 1990s and was available only with a petrol engine), so we may not be able to help you.

You should find that you get better MPG by using it in its two-wheel drive mode, rather than four-wheel drive.

Hope that helps.

Back