Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Scenic Abs Light problem

Blayde

Enthusiast
I have recently had a front wheel hub and bearing done on my 1999 renault scenic and the ABS light and Serv lights are staying on, is there any easy way of turning them off? i was going to just remove the bulbs but i can`t suss out how to remove the dashboard to get to the rear of the instrument panel :mad: if anyone can help i would be very very grateful :)

It's possible that the abs sensor was damaged when the hub/bearing work was done - a careless blow. It's always a risk when this sort of work is done - comeback on whoever did the work - if it was a paid garage job. Alternatively, the interruptor toothed ring mounted on the shaft assembly was cracked/damaged or may require cleaning. You could also check the sensor wire up to the connector for signs of strain/damage. Ideally you should find and repair/replace the fault for safety's sake - otherwise MOT fail. Having said all this you could remove the main abs fuse and disable the system and revert to normal non-abs braking until you sort the problem. A suitable garage will use a fault code reader to diagnose/pinpoint your abs problem for a fee and then take it from there.:)

Thanks Brian, i have checked most things but I can1t find any damage anywhere, i have tried removing the main abs fuse in the fuse box but this doesn`t solve the problem of the ABS light and Serv light staying on :roll: I have spent a fortune on the car over the past 2 weeks and can`t afford another garage bill so I see it that my only option now would be to remove the bulbs from the instrument panel IF i knew how to get to them LOL.

Test the abs sensor - trace wire to connector and disconnect. Use multimeter on resistance ohms and place probes into open connector and spin the wheel - the meter should show pulse reading - this verifies the sensor is working and reacting to the interrupto toothed ring mounted on the hub/shaft. The sensor must be positioned very close to the toothed ring or it cannot work. Don't give up!

black sticky tape over it will be easier thann removal of dash panel , but Mot tester wont like it !!
would go back to garage who fitted it personally

Hi Blayde,

Most of the later renaults have a magnetic ring built into the bearing which must be put in the right way into the hub or the wheel sensor wont pick it up making the light come on.

The easiest way to see if you have this type of bearing is to see if you have the cogged type targets on your driveshaft...

To remove the top of the dash to get at the instrument panel you have to pop up the speaker grilles (some scenics also have screw on the end of the dash) and remove the two 20 torx screws in the corner, then carefully pop up the top of the dash (carefully around the top column trim)

hope this helps in some way..

cheers

andrew

oh yeah....also most of the later scenics have LED lights on the dash which means you cant take out the bulb....
(depending on exact year and model)

I think you will find that on that year scenic the ABS sensor picks up off a toothed ring (reluctor) on the C.V. joint part of the drives shaft.

Check the wiring has been plugged back in properly, if you can get a multimeter in to do an ohms check (from the plug down to the sensor) you are looking for a typical reading 900 to 1200 ohms resistance.

Stopping the bulbs working will only save the strain on your eyes as any half switched on MOT tester will see the ABS unit under the bonnet and then fail the car because the light doesn't come on when it's first turned on.

you haven't said yet if a garage did the work for you or if was yourself/friend, if it was a garage definatley take it back and see what they say, you should at least get a discount on the labour. If you have to leave the repair till a later date your brakes will still work as if they were 'normal' brakes, ie without ABS.

Back