Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Scenic RX4 Headlights

JohnM

Hi. New (60-something Expat Brit) member here, with pride n'joy 1986 R4 Clan, + frequently infuriating (and expensive!) 2001Scenic RX4........

No probs with the Katrelle (but it is due its new CT next month!); however my query's re the RX4's headlights:

The RX4 is a UK car - ie RHD, with headlights to match. It's been French reg. for 5 years now, but at its next CT will need LHD-dip headlights, not just the present beam-deflectors.

Having seen your article re converting Katrelle headlights to UK spec using little more than a needle file, is it possible to do the same (but in reverse of course) with the Scenic headlights? And thus save loads of €'s obtaining and fitting new (or scrap-yard sourced) French LHD RX4 units.

Advice welcome, please ............. and appreciated

are you sure the headlights are rhd ? I can't see how it obtained a ct in france . if they are rhd I suggest you look on le bon coin for a secondhand pair I cannot see how you can convert this type of lamp as the ampoule doesn't rotate. by the way it's Quatrelle !!!

RX4 Headlamps

Hi Breton

Many thanks for the advice - I suspected that the only answer was complete replacement! (At its last CT in May 2012 the test centre passed the UK RHD RX4 OK with UK (LH dip) lamps; but said they would need changing to RH dip at the next 2-year CT test.)

And thanks also for correcting my lamentable French. No wonder my R4 Clan 'misfires' everytime I refer to her as 'Ka' rather than 'Qua'............!

John M, in Ariege

Another vote for searching through Le Bon Coin.

Or do what we do and take them back for the next CT and they'll tell you again that they'll need changing for the next CT.

Knowing how the French CT works, that'll be the way ;)

Back