Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Serious loss of oil from the gearbox

Fidias

Enthusiast
Hello everyone and thank you very much for stopping by this issue, I hope you can all discuss whatever their experience is here, because i´ll need all.

I commented that recently I decided to restore a Renault 4s of 1973, and the truth I think I've reached a point that i need seriouse help.

Perform an oil change in the renoleta - very good idea for a car with so many years - and reslut that the man who sold me had omitted to say that a significant loss of oil seals in the gearbox, so serious is that of the 2 liters that the manual recommends, only able to retain one liter or so.

Therefore, and since in Chile there are no mechanics of renault 4, I need to know how I can fix this problem, what are the things should I look for and what you recommend, and try to make some kind of tech tip for the future.

Thaks !

My R4 started leaking oil after I change the gearbox oil. I found out that it started to leak by the axle. So I change the shaft seal.

Thanks for the reply, could you tell me how did you do it.. im a rookie in this thing

Thanks for the reply, could you tell me how did you do it.. im a rookie in this thing

I didn't do it on my own. But I know hot to do it now.
First look if the surroundings of the axles are greasy. If it is so, then you need to change the seals.

You need to take the poor out the oil, take down the wheels. After that you need to pull the shaft out, untie the seal, remember how many circles it was tied. Change and assembly back together.

I think this is a too much work for a rookie like you & me. Better find someone who is a mechanic or knows what to do.

As steve said, the procedure is described in in the Hayness manual.

Thanks both!

Sprry i dint anwer sooner, but a went to a trip.... im looking how to get that manual, im from chile- South America so im cheking out how to obtain it..

Any way ill try to advance in this matter.. talking to a mecanic of renault 4 that i found he told me that it might that the Gear box retainer.. ( the plastic rod thing), is broken so tommorow he is ging to cheak a look at it

For the manual:
I both it over ebay.uk. I contacted the seller, because only he was selling the hard cover version for my model and he wasn't shipping outside the UK. After the mail he agreed to ship in my country to. As i see you have an '73 model so it will not be that hard to buy it. I needed to found the latest version.

So I think the manual would not be that hard to get.

Wish you luck with the mechanic today.

Back