Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Shy? R4 owners are never shy!

Bluebell

Enthusiast
Would it be possible for some of you R4 owners to put in some details about yourselves, especially where you are. This would make it a whole lot easier for the likes of Martin, Steve, Liam and Clementine to try and help you find bits for your cars.

Also it would help in the planning of future events if we know where everyone is. For instance, who would be interested in a Treasure Hunt and BBQ starting in Bedfordshire next year? :yellowre:

The way to put in your details is to go to User CP at the top of the page and select 'edit profile'. It won't hurt! R4 owners just cannot be shy. Everywhere we go complete strangers come up and talk about an R4 they used to know. People smile at us when we overtake.
C'mon folks, let's hear all about you! :wink:

Bluebell, as you may be aware, I've already asked people to do this so I endorse what you're saying. It really is very easy for members to type in their location so I'm not sure why they don't do it.

As I stated in the previous thread, I won't reply to any post where the person's location isn't apparant.

And another thing..... I wish that all R4 owners would buy a Haynes manual as many of the posts ask very obvious questions that the manual would give the answers to.

As some of you may know, I was a mechanic for 22 years and did a lot of work on R4's (as well as owning them) so I can supply info on some topics and workshop practices that may not be covered in the manuals. The manuals are very useful for the basic info such as tappet clearances, plugs and points gaps etc etc as well as a lot of the more complicated work - so please buy one. They often appear on Ebay and I believe they can still be bought new from Haynes themselves.

People also need to use the 'search' facility as well as many of the answers have already been posted.

I've made the location field compulsary for new registrations and whenever anyone alters their profile. Also if you go into user CP, then edit profile there is a new field where you can say what cars you own. Think I've listed all of mine.

..done...

Clementine

Have tried to attach a pic but get this all the time - What am I doing wrong -- The pic is only small.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1752801 bytes) in /var/www/html/forum/includes/class_image.php on line 2205rs?

...ian Stanbury..

Clementine

Am trying to edit my signature so ian has a capital I, but every time I try a pop up tells me that I have a fatal error...aagghhhh!!!

And another thing..... I wish that all R4 owners would buy a Haynes manual as many of the posts ask very obvious questions that the manual would give the answers to.

There's a new manual entitled "How to Do It the Fred and Clem Way" coming out soon. A preview of the illustrations is posted in the Gallery. You'll have to decide which order they go in as I don't seem able to sort them. :confused: Over to Clementine.

Ian-

Attachments seem to work for me. I think there might be a file size limit of about 2MB. I can change your username if you want to become a capitalist. Might mean you have to log on again with the revised username. PS - Mr Greenie not quite ready yet - still need to set the wheel alignment.

I like the Clementine and Frederick photos in the gallery. Don't think there is a way to order them other than load them in the sequence you want them to appear.

• DSCF2073.jpg
    DSCF2073.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 207
who would be interested in a Treasure Hunt and BBQ starting in Bedfordshire next year? :yellowre:

Missed that. Me! I would be interested. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Event planning can be disappointing as a load of people will express an interest, they'll say they'll turn up, then not turn up at all. Our last couple of BBQs have been like that.

But we should go for something. The Kent event this year was too inaccessible for us northeners, and I was knackered (and hungey) by the time I got there. Bedfordshire is a lot closer to the middle of the country, and there are a lot of cool things to look at in Bedforedhire.

Why not start a thread dedicated to a treasure hunt. Include a date (can be random, but it's not as if you'll clash with any other R4 event, best in the summer when it's hot), then we've got something to work from. I can help contact the Renault Owners Club and the Renault Classic Car Club so we can maybe pick up the R4 folk that don't frequent the forum.

...Bromham Mill...

..What a good idea Clementine..

Lets meet at 12 noon at X and then drive around for an hour or so till we all arrive at Bromham Mill for a picnic lunch and then drive around again for a few hours until we, by complete mistake arrive at a farm not too distant from Bromham Mill for an early evening BBQ?

Mine's a pint

Bluebell - His and hers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Treasure Hunt

Yes, Ian, count me in.

As well as the celebrities there will be a lot of fabulous prizes including CDs, fancy pumpkins and the best of French wines!

Watch this space.........

:yellowre:

Treasure Hunt

I wish I hadn't mentioned the fancy pumpkins! Fred and Clem are so keen to help that they have spent all day gathering the best pumpkins for the prizes. They promise that when the next rainy day comes (not very frequent in sunny Leeds) they will devise the clues and plan the route. They know many interesting and beautiful places to visit in Bedfordshire. More details later.....:mrgreen: :clementi:

• CNV00031.jpg
    CNV00031.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 91
...Madness...

Bluebelle

You are mad as a hatter or to be more precise, as mad as my Devonian relatives, pictured here when I paid them all a visit last week

Francis Fullerfrogs

...Francis Fulloffrogs...

..Bluebelle...

A small typo perhaps on my part, but try this as a clue?

• Frog e.jpg
    Frog e.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 86
Trees and R4s

I don't know how I could have missed that one Ian, it's so obvious when you know!

Just one more puzzle - can anyone identify this tree posing with Ermintrude outside our neighbour's house in sunny Leeds? :cool:

• 2006_11190011.jpg
    2006_11190011.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 99
What tree?

Our resident arboriculturist, Prof Ian Stanbury, soon spotted that this was a Gingko biloba tree. Gingkos are particularly interesting as they are the first seedbearing plants ever discovered. They have been found in fossils from the Permian period about 270 million years ago, and were very prolific during Jurassic times. For a long time they were thought to be extinct until, in the mid 1600s, they were discovered in temple gardens in China. The first specimen was grown at Kew in 1762 and gingkos became very popular with the Victorians. They can live for more than 3,000 years.

So what else is beautiful, desirable, interesting and a throwback to an earlier age? :yellowre:

..the house..

The House in the background?

...and on a small point of accuracy Bluebell - Its a GINKGO biloba and not Gingko biloba...

Professor Stanbury
International Treen Grower
University of Life
London

Am off to the Mount Pleasant Estate tomorrow for a pow wow with a person who has got rid of all his encylocepaedia Britannica's as he know everything!!

ps - Never lean out of a train window!!

The answer was Ermintrude of course

The House in the background?

...and on a small point of accuracy Bluebell - Its a GINKGO biloba and not Gingko biloba...

Sorry Ian, I forgot to chew on my GINKGO biloba leaves today - the only way to keep the Alzheimer's at bay.
Incidentally the house in the background in sunny Leeds belongs to a chap who is also a learned professor.

Professor Stanbury
International Treen Grower
University of Life
London

I've always wanted a Cornish village - would you be able to grow one for me too? If you can do them internationally then a nice quiet spot near the Pyrenees would suit me best.

PS - good to see you yesterday.

Back