Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sinpar 4x4

MarkT

Enthusiast
Can anyone point me in the right direction on how or where to buy either a 4x4 kit to convert one of my R4s or a complete Sinpar 4x4...dead or alive?? I am very keen to get hold of, preferably, a complete car (or van).
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Cheers, Mark.

I'd recommend buying a full, roadworthy car if you can, as kits are often expensive, incomplete and rusted to hell, expect to spend a lot of money though. leboncoin.fr generally has a few on.

Sinpar rebuild

I have just completed a F4 Sinpar restoration (see "Sinpar - some of the greasy bits" thread under the projects section) and now use it as a daily runabout.

I would echo Dave's comments - buy a complete car - the best you can , because there are a lot of detail differences and you will often not get them in an advertised kit.

It is very difficult to find parts, especially rear suspension arms as they are often very badly corroded.

They are VERY practical ! Although I am not sure you will find one in RHD ..

If I can help further , let me know

Simon

you thinking of importing to Australia?

and there is a RHD R4 Sinpar down in Weymouth in army colours, no idea if its still there thou,

you thinking of importing to Australia?

and there is a RHD R4 Sinpar down in Weymouth in army colours, no idea if its still there thou,

Thanks for the lead...do you have any details of how I could find it?? I'll even pay 100 pounds commission on a successful purchase to anyone who can locate a RHD one.....
To have a RHD one would save me heaps of effort. Unlike the UK where alot of people don't seem to mind driving around in LHD cars, I'm afraid Australia is so backward with it's Nanny State regs and it's incompetent drivers, that seeing a LHD car here is very rare. If it was up to me, and I had a LHD car, it would be great...I love driving from the other side! However, very hard to get it 'MoT'd'.
Thanks also for all the advice on buying a complete car in good nick...makes a lot of sense. Very keen to find one now.
Cheers,
Mark Taylor....+61417884440

I have just completed a F4 Sinpar restoration (see "Sinpar - some of the greasy bits" thread under the projects section) and now use it as a daily runabout.

I would echo Dave's comments - buy a complete car - the best you can , because there are a lot of detail differences and you will often not get them in an advertised kit.

It is very difficult to find parts, especially rear suspension arms as they are often very badly corroded.

They are VERY practical ! Although I am not sure you will find one in RHD ..

If I can help further , let me know

Simon

Thanks for your offer of help Simon...had a look at your photos...very nice. How about selling it to me??????? If I do end up with a LHD car, I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to find parts from a similar year to convert it to RHD...rack, dash etc?? Is that a reasonable assumption?

i would say no probs for a standard R4, but with the sinpar kits? not a clue but you have to go into cutting up bulk heads and sourcing RHD parts

as for the one in weymouth, no idea if its for sale as last time i went past i saw he has a 67 one now in pale blue, its just a sinpar i've seen when i brought bits off the guy for my 4GTL.

Can't you just wack a R4 body shell on a Landie or Hilux Chassis? no one will know. :P (am planning this)

LHD to RHD

I cannot see a major issue changing from LHD to RHD especially if you find a later car with 2 levers on the floor.

Mine has a single, 2 stage, push me-pull me lever under the dash. On a RHD car this could be a bit tight with respect to the steering wheel and light stalks

There are bound to be people out there in 4L-land who have done a steering wheel swap and I am sure the easiest thing would be to buy a whole, rusty or accident-ed car so you know you have all the bits.

The only "difficult" bit would be changing the bulkhead without changing the whole shell

Bon Courage !!

Sacrebleu Eoynteenie!! lol...that will be a last resort...a Landie or Hilux indeed...that in itself would be a massive job and then you lose the wonderful character of the R4s articulation and light-weight. I want to be able to do a few 4WD trips and leave the Landies, Landcruisers and Hiluxes behind as this amazing creation goes places they can only dream of!! Well, sort of.
I've just been alerted to the can-of-worms involved in trying to get a car out of France...my god, it sounds like a nightmare. Is there an easy way?? I do have a Daughter living in the UK with a British passport...if that helps getting a car out of France with the whole Euro resident thing. I just thought she could go to France, do the deal, drive it back and then I could organise to put it into a container! Has anyone gone through this process? Surely we could buy it, as parts, hand back the French plates and then deal with it rationally out of the UK?? God, sourcing one out of the UK would be so much simpler......

It's a piece of cake getting a car out of France into the UK and registering it here, only needs an MOT and insurance then a quick trip to the registration office to register the car and tax it.

For a UK MOT it will need the most basic things like the headlights changing to RH and the fog light moving over, and if you can get hold of a RH drive dashboard with MPH and KPH on they swap straight over.

Thanks Pepper....Below is what I have been alerted to!! As quoted to me from a contact I found in France. Any advice or other methods of proceeding would be very much appreciated! I remain determined to get one of these amazing cars!

"Be aware of this mess:-
Cars more than three years old, when the system changed had a registration document called the carte grise. This carries the details of the car with its key numbers -VIN, chassis etc and the name of the proprietor with the registration number that it controls, for the plates on the car. Each time the vehicle changed hands it had to have the carte grise changed and if it moved to another department in France, a new registration number issued. Now there is a nationwide registration scheme in place which creates a carte grise on first registration and it and the rego number stays for the life of the car.
I have just been helping someone in Melboune import an H van from here and we found that under the current rules you cannot export a car from the EU, if you are not an EU resident. Either you have to appoint a professional export agent in the EU to do it for you or get the vendor to export it. We chose the latter route. To clean up the paperwork here the vendor and purchaser have to sign and exchange a certificate of cession of which a copy goes with the carte grise to the prefecture with it signed as exported permanently. A local sale also needs a Controle Technique not more than six months old and a Certificat de Non Gage which confirms that no one has a lien over the vehicle
There have been a number of fiddles with these cartes grises on older cars. The rules here effectively ban performance modifications relative to the manufacturer's homologation spec. So cars like this one which were tuned for sporting events often have an invalid carte grise which makes sale difficult to impossible. I notice that he has modified his sales ad, now saying that he has a carte grise in his name, so probably someone else has asked for clarification. It matters for import to Australia. Before shipping you have to get permission to import from Canberra. They demand proof of ownership ie a receipt and a copy of the carte grise with confirmation that the vehicle has not been modified. If the vehicle is pre 1996 you will need a certificate of authenticity from the maker. If post 96, it has to have a European Certificate of Conformity and a VIN number which you have to get from the maker. If the vehicle is modified this is a very grey area.
Once you get approval for the import and approval for the export, it can go on the ship. Once in Aus and Quarantine and customs are happy, then you have the challenge of getting through the state rego, about which I know nothing.

Before worrying about the car itself I would want to know exactly what is on the carte grise"

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp...........

move to france?

Get it imported here first, may be easier to get it to OZ once registered here!

The carte gris is like our registration document, apart from it normally contains all controle Technique dates IIRC!

I handed the carte gris in for my 4 when I changed it over to UK registration. so I can't refer to it I'm afraid. Perhaps someone like Bluebell may be able to show you a scan of a copy? Or Claude Van Rouge?

This is the cart Gris for my peugeot

• cart gris 001.jpg
    cart gris 001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 270
Thanks guys, that is somewhat of a relief...I think that's the plan, find one with a carte gris and the Controle Technique thingy and get it re-registered in the UK. Just have to find a decent one now. If anyone hears of a RHD drive one in the UK, please let me know!
Fantastic forum, I must say, good to see such a helpful R4 community!
I'll keep you posted on my journey.....

Good luck

Good luck with your search, I will keep an eye on Leboncoin and ask locally, although they tend to be found in the more mountainous, cold parts of France !

Things to look out for:

Correct paperwork and bulkhead plates - the CG does not always say Sinpar or 4x4 but you can work out a correct CG from the chassis weights. Plus it should correspond with the Sinpar plate on the bulkhead

Complete car - all the bearings can be replaced as can the drive shafts, but things like the anti-roll bar and petrol tank are nigh on impossible

If you see that an advertised car is in bits be careful because the bits from different cars are not always interchangeable, especially the rear diff and driveshafts

I have copies of the parts books for Sinpars (one from another member of the forum) and they are worth at as look as well

My vehicle is a small engined van (850) and is fab but I would never go on a motorway with it - too slow especially with the lower gearing. I am lucky to live in a quiet part of the world with no traffic and a slow pace of life, so if you wanted something quicker you probably need to look for a later car with the 1100 engine !

Send me a personal message with your address if you want a copy of the parts book

Finally,if you don't already, learn French - it will help finding bits (only joking ......)

Sinpar / Simpar

Forgot to mention, if you are searching for bits or cars, search on siMpar as well, many people misspell the model !!

Back