Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Small makeover

Firstandbest

Enthusiast
I prefer the earlier doors without plastic moulding. But they are a part of the GTL so tried to tone mine down down. Any views... I can take critisism! And compliments!

Happy Sunday :o

• photo R4.jpg
    photo R4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 277
head rests? and i'm taking mine off completely.

When we got our car it had yellow painted plastic mouldings care of Derek ( Renospeed ) to match the body colour. Last year I painted them black, but now I'm not so sure I did the right thing and I might well put them back to body colour for next year, as I think it does look neater.

I think your car looks generally superb but painting them body colour, if I e.g. went to see this car for sale, would put me in the mind that the car has had a cheap respray where someone couldn't be bothered to remove them or mask them off first. The car looks otherwise very nice and to my mind making them body colour almost sells the car short. To be fair, I'm not a general fan of the plastic things in any colour and was planning to delete them from my GTL...

Good point, I hadn't really thought of it that way, but I see what you mean.

Ha ha. I had bought up some doors and trims recently. So I have the black ones still.
Derek at Renospeed advised that to remove the fittings from the door is a long job . Not one for me. Hence the compromise!
Thanks for views

Mark

Completely unrelated to this thread but I was perusing back issues of Classic and Sportscar last night. I suddenly realised that it was your car in the story, and in those it has the black trims on. I think on balance I prefer the black trims.

Taking the trims off entirely does look a bit involved, and is almost impossible to return to original afterwards. Its one of the reasons I haven't got round to taking them off mine just yet.

When I sold my last one to a mate he removed the plastic and filled up the wholes, before totally repainting the car. It looked better, think I'd do it too mine but the car was resprayed by previous owner and I don't have a colour match!

I've added go faster stripes to mine and changed to yellow headlight bulbs too, might do some more pimping soon!

I quite like the plastic trims, they have helped save my paintwork quite a few times !

Body colour looks good tho.

You could put a go faster stripe along them maybe :D

The posh versions of the R5 had colour coded side trims - if the colour match was slightly wrong (a little more matt and slightly darker) they would look original. :D

Interesting what it does to the styling - makes the car look lower. Have you considered gluing a supercharger inlet to the bonnet to complete the look?

I think painting the side trim makes the side of the car look very messy and untidy.

The doors already have several lines and adding to them does not complement the design well. When it is grey or black or any other contrasting colour, it harmonises with the doors better.

I also think that all the grey parts should be painted the same colour ie, mixing black grilles with grey plastic side trim, etc doesn't not look good.

This is just my opinion obviously and I think you should do whatever you want with your own car, which incidentally looks great overall.

I like my r4 without plastic trims, I like the gtl style with plastic trims too.
I do not like them painted. Isn't it easier to sell them on ebay and keep the car without plastic, if you do not like them?
My modest opinion, anyway is a matter of taste.

]
Derek at Renospeed advised that to remove the fittings from the door is a long job .

Grind off the nipples (no clue on what else to call them)
Feel in the holes of the screws
Respray

Just time and money really.

P.S
I haven't done it yet, but thats my plan on removing them.

Have to say that personally I prefer them unpainted but its your car Mark so don't worry what anyone else thinks!

I actually quite like the grey plastic side trims and GTL bits. Very practical. But then I like the looks of GTLs and actually prefer a GTL to look like a GTL...

Thanks

Interesting views

Beats worrying about the economy and euro!

When the time comes to sell, yes that day may well come, it will include six spare doors, trims and a tailgate to do with whatever the buyer decides :hug:

Best wishes and goodnight all.

Mark

PS Eoynteenie I think studs was the word you may have been looking for ...!

r4 nov.jpg

Have to say that personally I prefer them unpainted but its your car Mark so don't worry what anyone else thinks!

I actually quite like the grey plastic side trims and GTL bits. Very practical. But then I like the looks of GTLs and actually prefer a GTL to look like a GTL...

I have to say that I agree with this. When my red R4 was resprayed the guy at the paint shop tried to convience me to go with different color for the side trims and bumpers, it was a big no go for me, I like them the way they are.

The original grey colour matches a wide variety of body colours, so it's spot-on at most instances.
However, I don't disagree with painting them, to create a "personal taste" 4L...

• +Χ+¦+¦_Ν+_+-126.jpg
    +Χ+¦+¦_Ν+_+-126.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_1470.jpg
    100_1470.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 67
Back