Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Solex 32 EI carb

simonandjuliet

Enthusiast
My ACL 1A Rodeo had a Solex 32 EI carb fitted which I am replacing with an original Zenith 28 IF.

I want to sell the carb, manifold, throttle linkage and air filter but am not sure how best to describe them - are they 4L, GTL or R5 ? (or something else!)

The only refs I can find on the carb are: 32 EI, 70862, 48 0 01

Any guidance will be greatly received !

They're known around these parts as the Hennessey Hot-Up Kit. I think the rocker cover and water pump are also part of the kit, but someone else will have to confirm that.
I'm interested in buying the kit, any idea how much it would cost to post to UK?

My original kit was based around the 32IF as fitted to the R5 Mk1. However, I have no reason to believe that this carb wouldn't fit. To fit this to a 1100 GTL (688) engine you would need to ensure that the manifold is suitable. If the Rodeo engine is a 688 type then that's a good start.

Simon, not sure why you want to replace this carb with one that's not as good!

Carb change

The carb set up never really worked - the manifold rubbed the steering column which made the steering horrible !

Having said that, on closer inspection I have found that the engine mount stay (under the manifold) was missing and that one of the engine mounting holes had sheared - maybe that's why the engine touched the steering !

This engine also had a vac-advance dizzy which prevents #2 plug being removed so in line with my other small-engined cars I am going back to standard, keeping just one series of spares on the shelf !

I will look into postage cost to the UK !

I'd keep the performance kit, if I were you, sort out the engine mount and run the car with the kit on, you may find that once you get it sorted that the performance is a good thing!

Back