Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

solex F281BS

John M

Enthusiast
Has anyone got an exploded diagram for the Solex F28 IBS carburettor? My Haynes manual doesn't have one, not even in the supplement? There is a diagram for a Zenith 281 but not Solex. It is fitted to a 1983 GTL
I went to start the car today after having it standing for a couple of weeks and it would only run on the choke and then only for about10 seconds. There is plenty of fuel there so I thought it might be a blocked jet. I have had the carburettor off and cleaned out a lot of muck but the engine still will not run. I suppose it could be an air leak but it is strange that it has always started first time and run very smoothly in the past. So I wondered if there was a jet somewhere I had overlooked hence the request for a diagram.
Any other comments or suggestions would, of course, be much appreciated. There is no hurry for me to do the work as the weather forecast for the next week is cold and very wet so what with having to work outside I will wait for better weather.
Just realised the last three letters of the carburettor are IBS irritable bowel syndrome perhaps? Well that could describe it.

Last edited:
Well a 1960's Renault Dauphine Solex f 28 ibs carb fitted in a 1983 R4 GTL hmmmm that's new to me :) it may work but most GTL's had the Zenith 28if.
I would recommend to obtain and fit the original Zenith 28if

Here's the Solex 28 exploded view.
30290d1339139394-tuning-solex-28-ibt-solex2.jpg

Thanks very much. Just what I wanted.
I did search the internet and all the results were in spanish so perhaps some later models were fitted with the solex F28?

Thanks for the diagram JdeW. I can see that 15 is the air bleed valve. Do you know if 74 is the main jet?

Hi John,
15 is the idle mixture screw which is always spring loaded.
70 is the main jet which is always fixed, only the bore size can differ.
74 is the pilot jet which is also fixed.

Cheers, Joop

Thanks very much. Just what I wanted.
I did search the internet and all the results were in spanish so perhaps some later models were fitted with the solex F28?
The later GTL models aka the Clan came with Solex 32 carbs and a different manifold.
Mainly the spanish and south-american produced R4's did differ from the european produced ones.

Hi John

Not sure about the Solex but the Zenith carb has a short hose with a one way valve inside it .It runs from the back of the base of the carb to the manifold. If the valve is faulty or the hose is split, carb sucks in too much air and the symptoms you have described will take place. Alternatively, check the main or idling jet, carb base gasket.

Best Regards

Chris

Thanks for your help everyone.
It was dry this morning so I took the carburettor off and cleaned everything out. What I did notice though was that the petrol I emptied out of the carburettor bowl was not clear and after standing for a while it settled and it looks like there may be some water in the fuel. Now I think about it there was a lot of white smoke coming out when I tried to start it the other day. Perhaps it was steam! I had also nearly run out of fuel. I wonder if I had pulled some muck/water from the bottom of the tank?
The latest problem though is that the starter motor has decided not to work. You can hear the solenoid click in but no turning. I gave it a few hits with the shaft of my hammer to try and dislodge anything. It was something I used to do on my old 6V R4 but it didn't work this time.
Once the starter motor is going again I will rig up a temporary fuel tank with nice clean fuel and give it a go. Looking at the long range weather forecast this will not be for quite a few weeks. I don't have to get the old car going. It is not like when the Renault was my only form of transport and it had to be done to get to work. I have been retired now for 13 years and doing jobs on the car just doesn't have that urgency.
Thanks Chris for the note about the one way valve. I will have a look at this too.
Pictures below of the fuel and deposit/water.
IMG_20180114_125247[1].jpgIMG_20180114_125352[1].jpg

Back