Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Something is leaking....:)

b12cky

Enthusiast
Hello everybody.
I've notice some kind of a leak.
Not sure what it is, but I guess it's engine oil. I do check oil level regulary and, it is a bit over the maximum.
But, I don't see that the level of oil is coming down.
Here are the pictures. On the second one, you can see where it drips on to.
m1.jpgm2.jpg

Hi there! Nothing to worry about. Seems like your head valve gasket is worn out a bit. Easy to replace! Less then 10 euro's.

Back in the day they used gaskets made of cork (cork-sheets used to keep grapes from getting squeezed in their boxes was
the beez-neez as they were "impregnated with grape-juice) does the fact that I remeber this tid-bit mean I'm getting long in
me one tooth I wonder?
-I would def look for a gasked made of fiber, as they can be tighten a bit firmer and so keep it all nice and leak-free. -Reid.

One question...
When changing rocker cover gasket, do rocker cover screws have exact torque when tightening?

Well, I tried to look at that leak closely, and noticed that it doesn't come from rocker cover gasket leaking, but, from this hose. The clamp was loose.
prel1.jpg
So, I tried to tighten it. No problem...Took out air filter housing, got to the clamp and, the clamp was bad. So, I pulled the hose out and, I managed to brake this T shaped bracket! It was so brittle, I barely used any force.
prel2.jpg
And, guess what? I don't have another one.
So, now to hunt another one...
Conclusion : don't work on Sundays, and on cold weather. :)

I can't find original breather hose and, I can't improvise anything because I just can't find anything that will fit. Except for this. Flexible plastic hose. Not sure if I will install it, because of the heat of the engine. Ehat do you think?

20211219_102815.jpg

There are 90 deg. pre-bent rubber hoses available but are only suitable for hot water, and will not last long if exposed to oil vapours. You can try the plastic hose and see how long will it last. Alternatively try silicone water hose that are also available in 90, and some times 45 degree bends, it is resistant to oil vapours.

There are 90 deg. pre-bent rubber hoses available but are only suitable for hot water, and will not last long if exposed to oil vapours. You can try the plastic hose and see how long will it last. Alternatively try silicone water hose that are also available in 90, and some times 45 degree bends, it is resistant to oil vapours.
My only concern is that that plastic hose wouldn't catch on fire.

You can buy oil rated hose from automotive shops. The connection on the rocker cover and carb are the same size so that's easy to do and will cost a couple euros. Plastic is an unnecessary experiment.

The other connection from the T-piece goes to a smaller connector at the bottom of the carburettor. There is a restrictor in that hose to reduce air flow. The engine will work OK if that connector is completely blocked - the hose cut short and a bolt screwed into the hose for example. Never leave the connector at the bottom of the carburettor open as that will make the fuel mixture too lean.

if all you can find is a straight rubber-hose, just push in a hard wire-thing Dia.3-4mm (do not Block the rubber
-hose!) then bend the wire into needed bend/shape and leave it in there.It won't go anywhere...
as Malc says plastic is no good for this.. If the restrictor IS the actual T-pipe (smallest dia. one I'd guess)
-measure the inner dia (hole) of that "leg" of the T , find something of plastic/wood -whatever, shove it in
the rubber-pipe and drill out that part to correct inner dia and you're set to go...
this may seem Frankenstein'd -but you'd be the only one knows it's there -and it will do the job! -Reid.

Thank you all for propositions.
Maybe there will be an original part. :)
I've found one GTL in my local car junkyard (although, at first, they said that they didn't have any R4s).

268420449_597243494894126_2568861878867631403_n.jpg

Back