Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Speedo worm-drive.. Colourcoded?

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Just a quick question re speedo worm-drives in gearbox... Are they colourcoded in
respect of gearing? (for giving correct speedo reading?) -or How do I read them?
I can't see any codes/numbers on it at all. As always,Thanx Much for any info -R.

As nobody has replied I guess I feel it is my duty to try and provide some information I do actually have the genuine Renault workshop manual to hand covering all the gear boxes 354 and HA1 with every ratio listed I can only provide a copy of what the book says with no other ideas on whether your speedo will read correctly or not20151005_083714.jpg

Hi Paul. I've got this same manual and haven't found anything about the ratio of the wormdrive so I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Don't really know if theres a law saying your speedo has to be somewhat correct-as long as i have the gps I should be covered if
all goes haywire.
Tried to install a speedo from a R5GTL and was pleasantly surprised just how much faster Roffen suddenly became,I was able to
get the speedo-needle well into turn two,so don't tell me all our fave R4 doesn't move! -R.

I used the Renault 5 GTL gearbox with a 1973 Renault 4 speedometer and the speedo is accurate. I would give it a try. Both parts of the worm drive would need to be matched - there must be one part unreachable within the gearbox.

you'r right,the wormdrive in the gearbox isn't easily accesible as I don't want to open the gbox at this stage.
-will try as is first and hope for the best! -R.

mine with 70s speedo and 1108 engine and 80s 4gears box shows over 10km more than I really drive but i got used to it

Dobry Wieczor chudson! -so what youre saying is when youre doing 150km/h your speedo reads 160 .... -R.

Haha dobry wieczór reidalpine :D I've never driven so fast but when the speedo shows 80 actually I am drivng about 70 according to gps :) I am guessing there is about 15% difference

I just finished my car this year and didn't have time to go outside the city. But steering ( atleast on my R4 ) isn't too convincing to drive it so fast. When You are driving a 50 year old car without seatbelts you need a lot of courgage :D

Back