Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Speedometer switch km/h->miles/hour

tinbox

Does anyone know how to switch the onboard computer / speedometer from kilometres to miles? I am trying to import a car from abroad into the UK and this is a requirement for local vehicle registration, but my local Renault dealer had no idea.

Hi tinbox,

What kind or Renault are you importing? Sounds like it might be a modern one if it has a computer.

A generic answer - if it was a Renault 4 you'd need to buy a new instrument panel (maybe from Liam). For a more modern Renault with a computer I've no idea how you would change the calibration, but I believe it is acceptable to use a marker pen (or stickers) to mark the correct speed in mph onto the speedometer.

Thanks - I think I am probably in the wrong forum. It is a new Renault Grand Espace (digital dash board). Thanks anyway.

If my memory serves me correctly, you don't actually need to change the speedo on an imported car. UK regulations require you to have the speedo marked in mph, but I think you can get away with a bit of paper stuck on the dashboard next to the speedo giving the appropriate conversions (ie. 10 mph = 16 km/h, 20 mph = 32 km/h, etc.). Cheap and straightforward, but a bit of a bodge I admit...

About ten years ago there were a number of companies importing the Renault Twingo into the UK, and presumably they must have encountered the same problem as it was never built in RHD or officially imported to the UK. I've seen a few driving around with headlight deflectors (like you would fit before going abroad on holiday) and an after-market rear fog light set into the bumper on the correct side, both of which are a bit of a bodge but unavoidable because you can't get Twingo lights designed for driving on the left. I don't know what they did about the speedo, but as that was a digital one too they must have found a solution. Alas I don't remember who or where these companies were, but if you can track one down you might have your answer.

Grand scenic

I'm having the same problem with my new Grand Scenic but from a different angle as I do a lot of motoring in France (had to follow my friend's RX4 all the way to the alpes cos he has an analogue display).
Manual says to hold down one of the computer control buttons on the stalk and simultaneously press the start button but all this did was to reset the trip computer value. Dealer said to try holding the computer button and press the start button 5 times, but I got the same result :mad: . Will be paying him a visit on Thursday so he can show me!
One likely irritation though is that when you turn the ignition off the setting reverts to the original factory setting - irritation only for me in France :roll: , but probably a pull your hair out job if you had to do it everytime you used the import car :mad:
I'll let you know

:-)

Well now. . . . .after 45 minutes and the intervention of a very nice lady (Nikky of Lookers Chelmsford) and her pet mechanic on the end of the phone, we finally managed to change mph to kph (I feel like an alchemist.)
Alors, pour une Grande Scenic with hands free card you must:
- ensure the ignition is off, so open and close the door if you're already comfortably seated
- Don't be tempted to touch the brake or clutch
- have the hands-free card in your left hand
- press and hold the top computer-control button on the right-hand stalk
- immediately insert the card into the slot
- then (still with the cc button pressed) press and hold the Start button.
- after about 3-5 second the dash will light up with the speedo flashing - but bide your time and keep pressing them buttons.
- after another 3-5 seconds the mph will change to kph but it will still flash so keep your digits stiff and disregard the pain
- after another 3-5 second the flashing will stop, the speedo will be in kph :rofl: and you can stop holding your breathe (Nikky me and the dealer found we were doing this )
- despite what the manual said, and it's no surprise it's wrong in this respect as well, it doesn't revert to mph when you switch off, so you have to go through this again when you return to blighty. But this is a good thing.

It's important that you keep the buttons pressed when the speedo is flashing or it will just abort, even when it shows kph.

I imagine that this will be the same with the éspace as well, but obviously I can't vouch for that and clearly it will be slightly different for non-hands-free systems, but ya-boo mine works :p

If you still have trouble then I suggest you give Nikky a call. In fact having spent so much time in close proximity to her I'd suggest that anyway ;) (said in the full knowledge that my wife will not be on this forum.)

Thanks for posting the information for setting up the Grand Scenic speedometer. There probably aren't all that many owners on the forum that would benefit immediately, but it'll make life so much easier for others searching on the web for years to come. It's stuff like this that makes the web worthwhile.

Just got to add my thanks for tsyrett's solution. It worked straight away and Clementine was right - I found it via a web search!

please help

I need change at me renault laguna II 2001 also miles to km/h please anybody know how will changed please write me, I try tsyretts instruction but I was fail :mad: I dont know what next, thanks for all tips, I take everything

Changing a renault grand scenic from mph to kmh and visa versa is very easy. Details are on page 1.56 of the grand scenic user manual 'trip computer and warning systems - instrument panel in miles'.
All you have to do is put your card in the slot (don't press any pedals!), Hold button 3 or 4 (up or down arrow buttons on the end of the window wiper controls) and press and hold the start button. After a few seconds the car will start to make an odd sound!! Keep both buttons held in until the display changes and stops flashing. Then start your car as normal.

i have a gran scenic renault 2004 and as it is a french car with left hand drive
wheel i am looking to change the speedometer from KM/h to miles/h. in the book page 1.56 it gives a solution to convert from miles/h to km/h but not from an original km/h speedometer. We have tried the solution and it did not work. do you have any idea??? thank you

A lot of the Japanese car importers use a little resistor in the line to the elctronic speedo, then a nice little piece of tape with MPH in the original font goes over the old KPH sign, if you were clever you'd have a little bypass switch for it and it would then do both. I have one somewhere as the Twingo I bought came with a brand new replacement MPH speedo and the resistor, neither of which had ever been used! As long as you have them with the car when you go to UK register it, it seems its not a problem.

The speedm8 one even lists the Megane Scenic as one of its vehicles so you could be in luck,

Grand Scenic 2004 MPH / KPH

I have had a look in to this for you and it should work just the same - so I have absolutely no idea why it's not - sorry. As far as my research says the controls are exactly the same so maybe there is a fault somewhere. Sorry I can't help any further and I hope you get it sorted out soon - I know how frustrating it is!!

i have a gran scenic renault 2004 and as it is a french car with left hand drive
wheel i am looking to change the speedometer from KM/h to miles/h. in the book page 1.56 it gives a solution to convert from miles/h to km/h but not from an original km/h speedometer. We have tried the solution and it did not work. do you have any idea??? thank you

Thanks!

Hi tsyrett! That's SUCH a relief! You're formula for success (changing miles to kilometres) worked a charm on our 2004 Renault Scenic. Just bought today and wondered where on earth we'd be able to find out how to do that .... all by ourselves.... as ye do! Nice one! Merci beaucoups! :smile:;)

Back