Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Squeaky Tailgates

Does your tailgate squeak?

• Total voters

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
The rear end of the Renault 4 body isn't all that stiff, and the tailgate moves from side to side when going over bumps causing the latch to squeak. Things are worse when the boot corners are a bit rusty, but on my car they have been repaired and I still have the squeak.

Has anyone found a way to stop the tail gate from squeaking?

I've added a poll just for fun. :D

Squeaky tailgate

I spent ages trying to stop the squeak and succeeded in the end by getting the catch in the right position. I also fitted a new rubber seal section to the bottom of the tailgate and it worked.

Steve

I said too many other squeaks to tell, but not as a joke, I am totally serious. I don't think it does squeak though. But it fills up with water.

Never known them to fill up with water. Either the window seal is leaky or water is getting in through the the number plate bolt holes or the rear light mounting. Push some dum dum in any area where it may be leaking. Remove the rear glass, clean the seal and frame and re-seal.

Steve

My current tailgate used to fill up with water - it's the original one from the car that went back on after my crash. Turned out to be the rear window seal leaking combined with corrosion in the flange. Injecting sealant under the seal sorted out the problem.

Actually, the crash might account for some aspects of my squeak as well - as I still haven't got around to repairing the bent boot floor.

I bought a very cheap panel from Reno4er.de for the end of the boot floor, and it has the same pattern and place for the boot lock which makes sense for your car. It runs the full width of the boot floor

The rear end of the Renault 4 body isn't all that stiff, and the tailgate moves from side to side when going over bumps causing the latch to squeak. Things are worse when the boot corners are a bit rusty, but on my car they have been repaired and I still have the squeak.

Has anyone found a way to stop the tail gate from squeaking?

I've added a poll just for fun. :D
I find a bit of grease on the mechanism and a bit on the rubber stops helps for a while but does return after a while.

I've returned to this problem recently. I think the problem generally is that the rear upper body isn't all that stiff and moves from side to side. Though I have found that fitting pre-1972 rear seats cures the problem. They have little bits of rubber at the rear of the metal parcel shelf that touch against the rear door and help hold it steady.

A lot of modern cars have a boot latch with nylon guides on each side - they'd stop the lid from moving from side to side, and I'm half thinking about doing something similar.

It used to squeak but it stoped after a while. Now I have another problem, the tailgate is vibrating and the lock is hitting against little bar on the floor causing anoying ticking sound :(

Well you opened the right thread...on my '75 it squeaks and vibrates. On the '71 one it is silent but it fills with water!!! I have not taken the Jogging on the road yet to make the squeak test. I have found that:
1. The way to stop (pure) squeaking is greasing.
2. If it rattles too,catch adjustment will help, but lower seal condition is critical,too.
3.Clementine, you are absolutely right about the little rubber bits on earlier models!
4. Lock mechanism (on door) often loosens, check also hinge nuts for tightness.

Clementine, can you add another tailgate poll?: "Does your tailgate shut easily?"

Another reason for a squeeking door is worn hinge pins on the top, open the door and you will find a couple of inches of play. Tap out the pins and get some oversize pins made. It does help
Allan

Back