Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Starter Motor Problem

Threelabs

Enthusiast
Hi Guy,s
can anyone give me a bit of advice please? Starter motor playing up, where have you heard that before, not all the while but occasionally it is not engageing just whirring. the rest of the time it turns the engine over like a train. I know I should know what the problem is but I am having a senior moment and it is bloody hot down here in Portugal so please give me a clue.
Cumprimentos Threelabs

Might well be clutch dust in it, you can take it out and try to clean it, but it is such a pain (manifold off, steering column out and still awkward) I might be tempted to leave it until it packs up if it were me, and then fit a NEW one.
They push start pretty well

Sounds like the solenoid is playing up, with how difficult these are to get too, when mine played up I just bought a good quality reconditioned one from my local motor factors.

I agree on the solenoid as main culprit, but I had some times found that rusted connections on the main grounding or positive wire to starter to be the issue just after I have dismounted the starter. So I may suggest you to double check your connections (Both sides) before everything else.

Regards :smile:

Starter motor problems

Hi Guys,
thanks for all your help, it has cooled down a bit here so I stripped out the starter, not quite as bad a job as I thought. Perhaps the fact that it is left hand drive might have helped, all I had to do was disconnect the steering shaft. Anyway replaced the Bendix and all is well with the Quatrelle again.
I will try and get a pic and get it posted
Muito Obligard
Threelabs

Replacing the starter on a 845 cc is a terrible job! End up taking the exhaust manifold , a engine mounting, the handbrake cables * ( Operate the front wheels) and had to use a long socket extension while completely in a "diving" position over the mudguard. Not looking forward to do that again...

Glad , as you say, the 1108 is a far better job...A point extra for the 1108...

Worse than any 845 are the '78 to '83 LHD 1108s, everything gets in the way!

A friend advised me to reach the motor from under the car, unscrewing one of the engine mountings and slightly lift the engine itself.
I did it once, to fis one of the magnets, and used the boring way: removed, carb, manifold, steering column and then, finally...

In my life of a Renault 4 enthusiast, I am still to see a RHD R4, for as strange as it might sound! The LHD is a nightmare, and soon enough you are battling not to "fix" everything with a 10 pound sledgehammer...But then you remember those days driving with that gearstick, opening your door by inserting your hand in a hole, and rubbing shoulders with beautiful lady passengers....And suddenly the R4 worths your while....

Back