Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Steam cleaning engine?

wineworks

R4 TL, 112c-688, 956cc
Having spent a bit of time digging around under the hood, I came to the conclusion that it's pretty dirty around there so I'm thinking of steam cleaning it out. In looking around the Internet the main negative point seems to be the effect on a car's electronic system.

But since the electrics in a R4 are so simple (one of the car's major charms), is this a major consideration here? Or are there other reasons for not going down this road?

steam could literally blow both grease muck And paint away-plus using any high-pressure under there will blow the stuff all over the place so you end up having to clean the whole car. Any grease/oil-solvent -especially citric(lemon)-based is All good as normal solvent will dissolve grease and oil, lubricant you want to stay where it's at..
Use a squirt-bottle to reach the places you need to and nothing else.some slight elbow-grease will solve the rest.
Do not use solvent on hot or even warm engine as paint will wrinkle and die!
Also- stay OFF the s.k "Hand-washes" that pops up all over, they use loads of solvent so your wheel-bearings will die in NO time! -R.

Ah, now that makes sense. Why couldn't I find this elsewhere...I guess that's why I'm here. Much thanks.

Back