Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Steering rack knocks

DaveP

Enthusiast
I've replaced the front dampers/hubs/driveshafts/drums and balljoints on my '84 845tl to try to get rid of a number of problems, the parts came from the late lamented f4 (big drums, lovely). It turned out that a lot of my noises/handling issues came from a failed front bearing which didn't show up easily because I forgot that leaving the handbrake on would mask it. idiot.

I've got it all together and working but there's still a small knock (which I've tracked down to the steering rack) and some "axle tramp" especially uphill on loose surfaces, more pronounced when laden, still remains. I have a spare steering rack for which I've ordered new TRE's but is this likely to solve the problem? I can't see what else there is to replace, the wishbone bushes and the ARB bushes are all in good condition, no play.

I've also gone from having a nice level car to being about 45mm higher on the passenger side, which from trawling the forum seems to be garage fix, The tracking needs doing too after all this so I'll wait for the steering rack

My first thought with axle tramp and a knock in the same sentence would have been front dampers. Are they screwed in properly? And do they have any fluid inside them?

I'm not sure how changing parts would cause such a lean.

I think the car was on original dampers which were utterly shot, one was almost seized, it's possible the car was adjusted around this, or years of offroad use in this condition has oftened up a torsion bar perhaps? The car has brand new decarbons now. The knock and axle tramp are carried over from before the parts were replaced. I presume there's no way the strut tops can fail?

Dick ruzzin

Try driving the car over a series of bumps and push hard on the steering wheel at the hub to see if the noise goes away or changes. If it goes away then it is in between the rag joint and the wheel, possibly worn steering shaft bushing or bad u-joint or rag joint.

Dick Ruzzin

Back