Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

steering rack removal

mojobaby

Enthusiast
I'm trying to remove my steering rack and can't quite figure out whether I should be removing the ball joint or the adjusting nut (where I'm pointing).

I tried smacking the bolt under the ball joint with a hammer, not too hard, apparently that's what's done, and it doesn't budge! Someone told me to use a bigger hammer.

Has the nut where my finger is, anything to do with wheel alignment?
DSCF6488.JPG DSCF6489.JPG

It is easier from the other end of the Track rod as behind the rubber bellows there is just one bolt that passes through the end of the shaft ;).........Well on my little 850 TL thats what is there :cool:
I had to use a ball joint splitter to separate mine when I changed them ....the hammer thing didn't work for me either..

• tr end copy.jpg
    tr end copy.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1
these are the splitters I used to separate the joints at the wheel ends and my adjustment for the wheel alignment is at the inner end of the track rod for aligning the wheels, but yes your alignment is the place where your finger is....if you can remove them like mine from the inner end they should still be aligned when you put them back on...........I think o_O

• splitter.JPG
    splitter.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
  • splitter2.JPG
    splitter2.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
I had a look under the bellows and its not the same, although I wish that it was! I've got another ball joint at the top end and I think another nut lower down the shaft at the small end of the bellows. I couldn't quite make it out, but I'll have another look tomorrow and take a photo

My car is also 850cc but a 1983 model.

I like your splitters; a guy on Youtube showed how to use the top one

This is what the end of the steering rack looks like, under the bellows; it's another ball joint.

I bought a splitter like Andy's. The gap between the ball joint and the stub axle carrier was a bit small so I had to hammer the back of the splitter to get it in place.

I gave the bolt 7-8 turns and just when I thought that something was going to break, it suddenly broke free. When I do the other side tomorrow, I'll put in some penetrating oil first and let it soak in.

When I put the ball joint back in place (temporary) and tried to put the bottom nut back on, I found that the ball joint bolt was turning with the nut. Its loose!. Is it supposed to do that or is the joint now stuffed? It's the first time I've done this job so I've no idea.

When I consider how much of the engine I've already disassembled, I start to hyper-ventilate and have to breath into a paper bag. I just hope I can get it all back togetherDSCF6490.JPG
DSCF6491.JPG

DSCF6492.JPG

Didn't work for me either, Tom, but there again, maybe I didn't hit it hard enough. I just don't want to break things.

I got the other side out today with my splitter.

Yesterday I mentioned that the ball joint bolt seemed loose. Of course it is! It's a ball joint. It swivels around inside the ball. I was just having a blond moment.

So, job done, thanks for all your help!

I brought to my mechanic the r4 of my girlfriend, cause she couldn't find anyone trustable near her home; today he (the mechanic) called me asking for a new steering rack, as the old one has some "play"...
I wonder if this kit I found on ebay (http://www.ebay.it/itm/KIT-CREMAGLI...379?pt=Ricambi_automobili&hash=item2a13066beb) is sufficient for a rebuilding of the rack...
Having a look on la 4L de Sylvie (http://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=207&Itemid=69) dismantling and rebuilding a rack is quite simple and these seems to be the only part that easily worn out...
Anyone has some info or experience to share?

For an already rebuilt steering rack I paid 60 euros a few years ago, so it could be even more expensive now; this kit costs 1/3....

found another seller from portugal with the same kit for 6 euros +2 for shipping...
but is it the right kitin order to solve my sterring problems?

You should ask the mechanic where the play is and what is causing it. Maybe it is the bush which they call "palier anti-bruit" which is anti-rattle bush/bearing.
Or perhaps it is in the gears where there is a bearing.
I suppose it could also be the ball joint at the end of the steering arms.
Only the mechanic can tell you
Good luck

Back