Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Sticking Starter

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi. I am in France and went to pick up Ronnie the Renault from the garage he stays in. I turned the key to start him and the starter was slow and then stopped. Wouldn’t turn again, but the dash light dimmed as I turned the key. I have checked the battery and it’s perfect and fully charged. I jump started the car and it drove home perfectly. However this morning , the same, no starter and dimming dash lights.
Looks like starter problem. What can I do. It may be jammed, so is there a place to tap it?
Is there anything else anyone can suggest.

Hi Edwin

If you have a long metal bar and a hammer to hand, you can gently tap the outer casing of the starter motor which might free up the brushes if they are sticky. However, it could be the solenoid. Alternatively, the cable from the starter motor to the battery or the electrical cable to the ignition switch which are secured to the back of the starter motor could be loose or corroded.

If the starter turned at normal speed when you jump started the car then it can only be bad battery or dirty battery terminals.

Hi Malcolm. I had started to think that as well so today o bought a battery which I will fit tomorrow and we will see.

Hi Edwin

If you have a long metal bar and a hammer to hand, you can gently tap the outer casing of the starter motor which might free up the brushes if they are sticky. However, it could be the solenoid. Alternatively, the cable from the starter motor to the battery or the electrical cable to the ignition switch which are secured to the back of the starter motor could be loose or corroded.
I did the metal bar trick and no change. I just am surprised that a battery can go while it is working. Never had that before. Plenty of returning to the car to find it won’t go because the battery has given up, but not where while it is turning it dies. Also the battery charger was saying the battery was full. Anyway the test is today when I fit the new battery. Got a three year warrantee with it though.

Back