Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Suspension outers - help please

paulbrook

Enthusiast
A quick question please - I have just taken delivery of the new outer suspension mounts for barnfind's project. I note that the (original) metalastic bushes inners are seam welded to the swing arm pivot tube. Obviously I can grind it all away, press the bushes out of the new mounts and seam weld them in place (slowly and not allowing too much heat to build up) then press the outer mounts back on....

But is there a better/quicker way?

I did consider putting 4-5 decent spots on the inner face where the tube ends up but not doing so till the car is back on its feet with a bit of load in the back to give the bushes half a chance to settle in the right position before locking them.

Any thoughts??

This is the rear suspension outer bush? Should be a press fit and not welded. Maybe a previous repair?

Trick for them is to find a way to record the alignment of the old ones, slit them through with a cutting disc bearing in mind there's a step in the axle in the middle of the bush, then peel the old ones off. New ones can be hammered in place with a bit of wood once the axle has been lubricated a bit.. Alignment is important and don't knock them too far in as they'll not budge once they are on.

Thanks

I now have the preset dimensions thanks to barnfind, and the same document confirms a press fit (mother natures weld...). These were definitely welded though, and a really neat job too. So Mr Grinder has a little surgery to perform...

Back