Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

tears and blood won't get fuel to flow

today's challenge - tank removal and clean inc pipes - plus, can I replicate the damaged gasket with gasket paper and a scalpel?

will let you know how it goes

thank you so much for all input

Oh my, My petrol tank was also a fine Maraca.

Not only that, but the filter in the tank was also burnt and melted!
on top of the tank was a slight welding repair. DIY, but actually does the job fine.

I'm thinking the welding or preheating of the tank to burn off fuel melted the filter and no one noticed or bothered. This along with bits of the weld, rust, shingle, etc.. seem to have been the culprit(s).. unfortunately my pack of gaskets for all eventualities- didn't include the carb.
so, .. before discovering if the wee van will drive, I have to try and cut out a replacement from a sheet of gasket paper - which I shall attempt today.

the tank and Zenith 281F carb are sparkling clean now, and I have decided to add another inline filter between tank and pump.. pic and updates to follow

hmmm actually AAAHHHHH!!!

jet cleaned

gasket replaced

pipes blown

tank cleaned

inline filters added

and still - it dies as soon as the accelerator or choke touched...

weeping

hmmm actually AAAHHHHH!!!

jet cleaned

gasket replaced

pipes blown

tank cleaned

inline filters added

and still - it dies as soon as the accelerator or choke touched...

weeping

If you open up the float chamber again is it still not full? Did you look at the gauze filter in the inlet? While you are at it see if petrol spurts out of the pipe while it is off and you turn the engine over.

It's going to be something so simple that we are all going to be kicking ourselves once you find it :doh:

Did you clean the tube filter in the carb? The one i just cleaned was FULL of crap.

Fuel is now flowing - however , the rotor arm is broken and needs replacing - Sigh - Just how much love does this F4 require?

any recommendations for a quick post of Ducellier replacement - here or elsewhere .. oddly, I have just bought the electric ignition conversion that Jimthevan had listed.. on a side note, maybe for some relief, I've been pondering painting Maurice Yellow and Black - aye, Bumblebee ahoy4l2.jpg

There are two different sizes are both made by ducellier
Hopefully both you and your supplier I can figure out which one you need

What was the problem? You can't leave us in suspense like this!

Weld bits, crud, etc in the tank and pipes, burnt and melted in-tank filter- but what confused matters is the rotor arm was slightly broken at the same time and we hadn't noticed - so upon fixing fuel, and the car still not picking up, we weren't thinking of there being electrical faults - I was about to strip the tank again, run new pipes through etc- but the fuel was now gushing (ahem, all over my friend as I watched, forgetting to turn off the ignition)...
thinking points as a maybe - we then discovered the faulty broken rotor arm, which, I'm guessing had slyly, simultaneously given up the ghost.
now looking for a replacement and have just bought an electric conversion kit from Jimthevan
fingers crossed
still slowly getting fitter( hmm, less fat) from the 16-mile roundtrip to the shops on my bike.
The saga continues

Back