Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Temperature sensor

bigoldboy

Enthusiast
Hi there .
My car is a 1972 Renault 4s FASA and I would like to put a temperature gauge in the dashboard . Where would I put the sensor and where can I buy a sensor and guage Thanks

Betty7.jpg Betty9.jpg

Here is my installation on my 4GTL - some water pumps have a threaded blank to take a sensor but not mine so I inserted an adaptor into the radiator top hose. The gauge position is not ideal as its visibility is a bit compromised by the steering wheel. All the parts came from eBay.

B8EDF7D4-4621-4397-883C-A4340E52239E.jpeg C053EB2D-EDF7-4351-A52C-0A24B5DCD6E8.jpeg

That's great , now I need to find the perfect temperature for my car to operate at . Once again thank you so much .

It's better to fit the sensor at engine side of thermostat so that the gauge will read high and warn you if something goes wrong with the thermostat.

Thats great but my car doesn't appear to have a thermostat anywhere in the cooling system .

Thermostat should be in the top radiator hose, just as it comes out of water pump itself, positioned (if its there/normally) between the two jubilee clips water pump end of top hose..

I tried the link for the water temp guage but I couldn't actually see what you get with the kit .

Kit Temperatura Universal 52mm. Renault 4,5,6,7,8 y 10

Dial, aluminium piece is sender that would bolt to water-pump. Wiring connections, wire, hole cutter for dash or bracket for on/under dash fitment would have to be sourced separately.

Thanks for that . On my car there is some sort of sensor bolted to the head is this the temperature sensor that just goes to a red light on the dashboard . Could I connect a guage to this same sensor

Betty 10.jpg

Ideally for the most accurate readings on gauge the sender should match the gauge supplied, although from memory on other threads members have piggy backed guage from the original temp light sender on engine.
Sender pictured by yourself is in a different position to one on my engine for dash light, mines a later 1985 model, heres a photo of both the original dash light sender ( brass sender just above water pump belt tensioner threaded into water pump, black sheathed wire),temperature gauge sender ( brass housing rear of water pump red wire into loom) 937FD43C-3174-46D3-961E-8EC0B0167E2C.jpeg

So do you think this in my picture is the heat sensor . I bought an owners manual for a Renault 4 but it never seems to have the information I need for my car . Do you think this is because it's a Spanish built car and where could I get the correct manual . Thanks

So do you think this in my picture is the heat sensor . I bought an owners manual for a Renault 4 but it never seems to have the information I need for my car . Do you think this is because it's a Spanish built car and where could I get the correct manual . Thanks
The sensor in your picture is the same as the ones GTL drivers will be familiar with - the 813 and 688 are both Cléon engines.
I don't think any manual that was originally written in English will have any information about your car - they were very common in Spain, and there were enough in France for the Revue Technique writers to devote a few pages to the 813-engined cars; I've heard of a few that were brought to the UK when we were in the EU, but 'back in the day', they were unknown in the UK.
A couple of ideas for manuals in Spanish:

file:///C:/Users/mcghe/Downloads/Renault%204%20TL%20-%20manual%201981[ESP].pdf

Last edited:
Would either of these allen key screw plugs be able to take a scew in heat sensor . Thanks again
I've down loaded the Spanish manual you sent but I reckon I'm going to struggle with it but thanks anyway .

Would either of these allen key screw plugs be able to take a scew in heat sensor . Thanks again
I've down loaded the Spanish manual you sent but I reckon I'm going to struggle with it but thanks anyway .
This is a typical Cléon water pump - the arrowed hole is the one sensors usually go in.
1661698053733.jpeg

That's great thank you I will now have to find the thread size and order the sensor and gauge

Thread is M18 x 1.5, you will not find a suitable sensor easily. Better fit a "contact" type sensor, like the one pictured on laxeian's post.
The sensor you already have is a thermo switch, so not suitable for a gauge.

Thank you for that . I guess I've ordered the wrong size sensor because I measured across the threads and it came out at 17mm . Oh well !

Back