Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Temperature warning light

Normally overheating problems will push water out of the expansion tank. If the fan comes on sometimes and you never have to top up the water in the expansion tank I would guess your car is operating correctly.

(If the radiator fan doesn't come on before the car boils it is normally because the cooling system isn't pressurised or the fan switch is faulty, dirty connections etc.) If the fan comes on after a long period at idle and switches off again for a while then the system should be OK.

It does sound like the temperature sensor on your car is faulty. The light can also come on if the wire to the sensor touches the exhaust manifold and melts.

Today I borrowed a infra-red camera. Just after I went home I went to the testing stage.
Went on a long uphill, right beneath the top the temperature light came on. I took the camera and stopped the car. The camera showed that the temperature of the radiator is 95°C. And that's the metal temperature not waters. After watching the engine for a minute or two suddenly the fan came on. So I decided and bought a new fan temperature thing. It was only 5€. And I'll swap it, it this doesn't work I'll swap to the temperature sensor on the engine.

This must be it. Thanks for or the help malcolm and to all previous posts :)

Today I heard the ventilator ven I came home and was opening the garage. And there was no temperature light.

So the problem is fixed, it was the sensor for fan.

This is a verry interesting thread !!.... i relly whant to get a temperature sensor for my renault because i do not now when the light is going to turn on, or if its still working....

Is there any conclusions about where to install the sensor..

where the first original plug was?..
o where jon_r4 ubicated it?

thanks!

I think I will install such a termometer quite soon...

Andrea scripsit.

Thermometer installed, sensor placed in a threatened hole on the water pump, works fine.
Cheap, because I choose a fahrenheit thermometer.
More difficult is to find a nice place for it on the dashboard... now it is floating on the shelf under the steering wheel....

Andrea scripsit.

That's the problem with post-83 dashboards, no place to cut a 2" hole!

Yes, indeed.
I was thinking about two solution:
1. drill two holes on the shelf under the steering wheel, fixing brutally with a band, or
2. make a precise piece of dashboard (with mdf or something else) to put on the side of the ash-tray, to collect the termometer and, if I find one, a clock...

Glad that you managed to fit a temperature gauge. Did you buy it online? Could you show me which one it was (make, model number etc.)? I would like to fit one, but am not sure about the correct sensor size.

On this post there is some mention of thread sizes and re-tapping (something that I wouldn't be able to do with my skills!). I'm hoping that there is a kit that will just work out-of-the-box!

Many thanks, Jonathan

Back