Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Testing Ignition Lead Resistance?

beagle

Enthusiastic amateur
Hi Gang,

OK I know it's not a Renault, but there's good knowledge on this forum....

I have an old outboard (British Seagull). I can't get a spark. I know the plug is good and I get a resistance from the coil, so I suspect the HT lead.

Is there a way to test the lead using a multimeter? Any ideas of what sort of resistance an HT lead should have?

Many thanks

Use a standard multimeter - if its a "resistive lead" it should be about 10 Kilo Ohms otherwise it should be pretty much 0 Ohms. Had a similar problem with a car recently it wasn't running very well the resistance of the leads was in the Mega Ohms !

Thanks a lot, I think it's dud as it reads 500 k ohms

It occurs to me I should test my HT leads and coil to get some idea of how knackered they are.
Thanks alewis for the values for HT leads... The Haynes manual uses units I don't understand: 4000-8000 dims resist. per ft. Any ideas what that means :confused:
Do you know what sort of resistance is 'good' for the coil primary and secondary windings? Haynes doesn't specify.

The c1j engine should come with its dual carburettor and related manifold; if you want to sell the old zenith 32if7 and manifold, tell me!

Hi Gang,

OK I know it's not a Renault, but there's good knowledge on this forum....

I have an old outboard (British Seagull). I can't get a spark. I know the plug is good and I get a resistance from the coil, so I suspect the HT lead.

Is there a way to test the lead using a multimeter? Any ideas of what sort of resistance an HT lead should have?

Many thanks
For a quick test you can use a electricity wire instead of HT leads.
my car's ignition system was too weak so i used a hitachi 800 coil, a handmade transistor points controller, a set of eyqyem plugs and a set of hand made HT leads, AND NOW IT BURNS GAS LIKE HELL!

The Haynes manual uses units I don't understand: 4000-8000 dims resist. per ft. Any ideas what that means :confused:

Hi, I guess "dims resist." just stands for dimensions of resistance, i.e. ohms. So resistance should be 4-8k ohms per foot.

Back