Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

The mongrel R4 renovation ...

Thanks for the kind words, Steve ... some more weekends are probably needed, but we're definitely making progress.

Here are some pictures to show the work of the last two weekends.

All round rusty spots were tracked down and treated in various ways, and the driver side front wing and bonnet were mounted for a trial fit (they had been damaged in the accident of the red donour GTL, and I got replacements off Ebay). The sill of the roof that had been damaged by lifting the shell off the chassis was repaired, and then we started to give the car yet another shade of red ... it seems that over its long life bits have been painted in whatever red was available, so it's going to stay that way for the moment.

The wheel arches were treated with undercoating, ànd I connected the tank nozzle to the body.

As most paintwork was done by this afternoon, I put the seats back in ... amazing what difference they make :)

We were NOT happy when we found a thin copper washer that should have gone onto one of the drive shafts ... now ... which one will it be ... will the "other" one be missing as well?

Well, I wonder what next week will bring: We'll try to make all the cable connections which could be interesting ...

Robert

• Motorhaube.jpg
    Motorhaube.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Farbe vorne.jpg
    Farbe vorne.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Tankdeckel.jpg
    Tankdeckel.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Vordersitze.jpg
    Vordersitze.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Radhäuser.jpg
    Radhäuser.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 237
Well, another two weeks have passed since my last update. I sourced the missing copper washer (thanks montenegro and Christian, who happens to live just around the corner, Hi there!) and bought another alternator that fits the red body's wiring (Christian again).
The car's coming more and more alive :)
The next snag we've encountered was a bad oil pressure switch (Christian was able to provide it), so with some petrol in the tank (and a shiny red extension of the tank sender's wire because the wiring loom of the new car is different), the exhaust fitted, and, of course, with all the necessary safety equipment on board we started the car for the first time after three years, just using a little starter spray for persuasion, and with only a few hiccups the motor's running sweetly.

• Auspuff Tankgeber.jpg
    Auspuff Tankgeber.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Wagenheber.jpg
    Wagenheber.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 175
All the brake lines had been renewed, as well as the rear cylinders, and the brake distributor had been overhauled, so yesterday we connected the brake lines to the master cylinder and bled them. It's very convenient to work in a garage with the proper equipment (in this case a pressure pump for bleeding the brake lines). We discovered, that even after bleeding the system for a second time, the pedal was too soft, almost rubbery.
It turned out that the master cylinder was defective, but among the mass of spare parts I had gotten with the car there was a brand new one.
The clutch cable is only connected, but not set, but there is a noticeable difference in height now between the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal ... I don't remember this ... see the thread over in the "Technical questions" section.

• Hauptbremszylinder.jpg
    Hauptbremszylinder.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 174
  • Pedalerie.jpg
    Pedalerie.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 178
The colour match of the last spray can is even worse than the first one, but it's hard to pick a colour if there are three different ones on the car already. Well, the thread is called "mongrel renovation", and the car certainly fits that title.

• Kotflügel.jpg
    Kotflügel.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Kofferraum.jpg
    Kofferraum.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 176
A quick update:

There were a few weekends on which we weren't able to work, so we're not quite ready YET, but on Monday I managed to take the car for a quick spin to the car wash (not that it helped much - I had to scrape the gunk off the windows to make it budge). A polish is in order to make the different hues of red really shine.

The car handled nicely apart from a tendency to wiggle its butt when going over major obstacles like manhole covers ... the track still has to be set.

I think the speedometer is a bit fast ... certainly didn't feel going so fast as it wanted me to believe. I'd like the accelerator pedal to come up a bit, it feels as it's not travelling quite enough (although the flap in the carb opens to the max). The car feels kind of sluggish, but it always felt like that. Maybe it's really time to try a Zenith 32IF7 setup ...

This week's holiday has foiled my plan to have the car MOT'd ... so more stuff will happen next week - I hope to get it on the road by then.

Robert

• Vorne.jpg
    Vorne.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Hinten.jpg
    Hinten.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Waschanlage.jpg
    Waschanlage.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 126
Rear end bump steering is a classic symptom of incorrect rear track. Normal after all these changes!
If the throttle butterfly is opening fully with the pedal to the floor, don't do anything more-you are going to put unnecessary strain on the throttle cable.

I'll tell the rest of the renovation story soon ... but today my R4 finally came back to my garage :)

Robert

• R4 schläft.jpg
    R4 schläft.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 78
Back