Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

thermostat

awal

Hi, I am new to this site and need some advice regarding R4 thermostat.
Where is it ???? or should it be.

The car is a 1986 tl in spain.

Many thanks,

Tony

It should be inside the top hose from the water pump to the engine, close to the water pump. You should see a bulge in the hose, and a second jubilee clip that secures the thermostat inside the hose.

Many Thanks

Many Thanks Malcolm,
I had wondered if it should have an in-line stat, but as there is not one fitted i was not sure. With the weather that we get here in spain i don't think it will do any harm to leave it out as the heater works fine even in winter.

again Many thanks for your response,

Tony

Mine was on the hose from engine to the cooler, close to the engine, secured with a metal ring... It was token out in summer and I would like to substitute it, so I am looking for a provider... Where could be found? And what I have to look to be sure to buy the right one? Opening Temp?

Andrea scripsit.

That's fine, but there is an even lower (74 degrees) thermostat we use almost exclusively here. I admit that below 10 degrees ambient temperature it is too low for any R4 with front mounted radiator.

There is a kind of plastic "coat" you can put in front of the car progressively closing the "window" on the bonnet... I don't know the english name... I've seen it only on forum's photos, I do not have one and I think it would be useless to me... Or not? I live near the sea, but in winter there are a few days when temperature goes under zero level (celsius speaking)...

'Giorno Azazella. They're called a radiator-curtain and works very nicely!
you have a long wire or string going from the curtain to under the dash-
board and by pulling it you can adjust just the right amount of covering of the rad. When motor is cold you pull it shut so motor will warm up very fast then open it as you go along to get just the temp you want...
-fairly easy to make yourself,but if you look around the scrappers you might find one sitting in an old Fiat 1100 Familiale etc... -R.

As I inherited my R4, I took out some (like cardboard) piece, that was closing the window for 3/4.
I don't know how to translate this, it's the window between the front lights.

I never used it again. And I had no problem till -13°C. But if the temperature will fall under -15°C. Then I probably put it in.

My engine started to overheat in the summer, because the temperature sensor for the fan has put the fan on after the temperature light burnt for some time. The thermostat is still the forst one.

Eh eh... is quite impossible to find such old car (fiat 1100) in a scrapyard, almost in my area... maybe near some big city, as Rome, it should be easyer. I went to the scrappy last week to look for the dip switch and I was not able to find a r5... there were 3 r4 (strange, it was a long time I was not seeing anymore r4 in scrapyards) and they were robbed of quite anything, completely empty even in the engine bay. The only usable things I was able to bring home were one dip switch (lucky mani!), very dirty and ugly (but working right after a deep cleaning) and a gear stick, a bit curve but nothing I cannot fix...

Anyway, I do not think I will need radiator-curtain, here temperature do not reach -15°C, as I said the winter minimum is at least -5, it may reach -10 but only in particular years, and then my worst think is for my lemon trees, not the r4 (wich will remain undisturbed in garage...

Andrea scripsit.

I said it was impossible to find a curtain for a fiat 1100? I was wrong.
http://digilander.libero.it/epocaricambi/_private/AccessorixautoEpoca_3di4.htm
New old stock. I bought from this people the rear mud flap with renault logo (now sold out), and they are quite expensive, (only the payment mehod costs 6 euros...)... But it is very nice..
The ones for 1100 are all good for r4? without any modification? If so I could ask for price...
I was looking on their site searching fog lamps...

Andrea scripsit.

Back