Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Too clean?????

pstruckers

Enthusiast
After too much time in the cold yesterday it occured to me that perhaps I was wasting my time........

Well to elaborate, I finally figured out how to get into the engine bay after much playing around and guesswork. One thing led to another and before I knew it I was wiping clean the oil/dirt/grime from the engine bay.

But after some thought I began to consider that maybe clearing the dirt/oil and grime wasn't the best way of maintaining the engine bay. What I mean once you strip away this layer are you also taking away a valuable layer of protection?

Just wondered how everyone here on the forum looked at this matter. What products/techniques folks used?

Being slightly manic on such things I continued to clean away years of oil and grease from the main surfaces for a couple hours :!:

Hi there. There's nothing wrong with cleaning up under the bonnet, especially if the rest of the car is tidy. Treat any rusty areas if there are any as you normally would, repaint where necessary, and just keep an eye on it along with the rest of your pride and joy.

listen to cornish4, i seen under his bonnet and you can eat your dinner off his inner wings...

Cleaning under bonnet is must do thing.
I just can not look oily and grease engine bay

Especially if it is pleasure car

Back