Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Torsion bar

Des

Enthusiast
I am rebuilding 1987 R4 van, Can any one tell me how to reset the torsion bar's and can it be set lower than standard.

Thanks Des

Hi there, now, I would like to raise the front of my 4 rather than lower it as I feel it could do with a bit more ground clearance. I think the term 'weed cutter', used in VW circles applies at the moment! My question is :- is it as simple as it sounds? Could you please give me a bit more info Allan, many thanks Brian.

Each end of the torsiom bar is splined and fits in matching splines in the lower wishbone and in a clamp at the other end under the seat. If you strip the front suspension you should be able to remove the wishbone from the torsion bar, mark them both first, then move the wishbone round 1 or 2 notches. You will have to put it all back together to check the height then take it all apart again if its wrong and try again. Have a look at some old items on this site I'm sure there are some photos somewhere.
good luck
Allan

Hello, search at the forum, it has been covered extensively some time ago. It's not easy, make sure you have read how it's done before you start :-)

Back