Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Tubed or Tubeless tyres?

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Purchased a set of Alpine wheels with 165/65x13 tyres fitted.
Got wheels blasted and then powdercoated. Tyres were removed before blasting. No tubes.
Went to local tyre fitters who advised me they believe tyres should have tubes fitted.

Comments on this please?
Thanks

• DSC00355.JPG
    DSC00355.JPG
    850.2 KB · Views: 0
Purchased a set of Alpine wheels with 165/65x13 tyres fitted.
Got wheels blasted and then powdercoated. Tyres were removed before blasting. No tubes.
Went to local tyre fitters who advised me they believe tyres should have tubes fitted.

Comments on this please?
Thanks

Did they say that having seen the wheels or the tyres? If the wheels are of the type that are designed for tubes, they must have tubes. This is because the area of the wheel where the edge of the tyre sidewall sits, is a different shape: On a tube-type wheel, the tube pushes against the tyre to keep it in place. On a tubeless wheel, the edge of the sidewall sits in a recess, which helps the tyre to stay in place when a sideways force is on it (when cornering etc).

Did they say that having seen the wheels or the tyres? If the wheels are of the type that are designed for tubes, they must have tubes. This is because the area of the wheel where the edge of the tyre sidewall sits, is a different shape: On a tube-type wheel, the tube pushes against the tyre to keep it in place. On a tubeless wheel, the edge of the sidewall sits in a recess, which helps the tyre to stay in place when a sideways force is on it (when cornering etc).
They only saw a wheel. I went in to investigate cost of refitting tyres and balancing the wheels.
As these wheels are standard Renault wheels for an R5 I had hoped there would be a clear answer.
Information seems to be that many people use tubeless with no problems at all.
I do like to play it safe.

Hello Tom. The main problem with using tubes in a modern tyre is that most tyres these days seem to have ribs moulded on the inside. Part of the manufacturing process presumably. However, these series of ribs can chaff the tube rendering it useless.

I have been using the same wheels on my car for a few years now but 1 wheel constantly looses air, the problem is nearly all ali wheels leak so if they do, fit a tube.

Careful with tubes. Tyres these days aren't designed to have tubes - they have ribs inside which wear the tubes. It is better to find out the rim isn't sealing while at the tyre place rather than on the motorway when the ribs wear the tube away. You need special tyres to run tubes.

I don't think there are any R4 or R5 wheels that require tubes and special tyres. All seem to get on perfectly well with tubeless tyres. I have never run tubes and I have not exploded yet, though I stand to be corrected.

Back