Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Unhappy Kangoo

MikerHayward

Hi Guys

A bit of a long shot considerring you are all into 4s. I need some help advise. My 1.9 non Turbo diesel Kangoo is not happy. Engine will start but when revved to about 2900 abbruptly cuts out. It does this consistently. Also even when running its erratic and has little power. I have had an RAC diagnostics computer connected but doesn't give any conclusive results. I have changed the crankshaft position sensor 660 ohm. Checked all mechanicals like cambelt and pump timing. All fine. I've been advised its a pump issue but there's plenty of fuel at each injector. More inclined to think its one of the solonoids on the pump. Not sure which is which though, some direction here might help. We did think it was a broken wire in the loom to the pump but after openning it up we couldn't find any issues. Clutching at straws at the moment so any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks Mick

Does it go past 2900rpm on light throttle? What happens when it cuts out - engine dies completely or just refuses to go past 2900rpm? What happens out of gear?

Spoke to a knowledgeable person and he reckons if it feels like it has no turbo at all it's likely the EGR valve that's stuck open or the pipe between the turbo and engine split. Failing that could be a sensor maybe fuel pressure - getting it plugged in to diagnostics and going for a drive ought to identify which one.

High Malcolm

The engine dies at 2900. Just cuts out. But this is off load. Wont make anything like that on the road. The engine is a non-turbo 1.9d. We have had it on a diagnostic computer but it shows no faults. We suspect either the fuel pump or the control solenoids for the pump. Expensive replacement especially as it might not be that.

Cheers

Mick

Oops - the turbo was lost in translation. Have asked again. It'll be a high pressure pump with a lift pump supplying it controlled by a solenoid, and the injectors will be electrically controlled?

If so sounds like a fuel supply problem. Few suggestions - check the fuel pickup in the tank to see if it is blocked especially if it is high mileage. Measure the voltage across the solenoid on the fuel pump with a multimeter taped to the dashboard to see if it's dropping off when it cuts out. Measure the voltage across an injector in the same way (number 1 closest to the gearbox). There is a fuel relief valve in the system - if that's popping open and relieving pressure it would cause the same trouble. Shouldn't be much fuel going back in the relief pipe so if it happens in neutral maybe check visually or pipe into a container. Otherwise probably another blockage or the pump itself.

poorly Kangoo

Hi Malcolm

Sorry missed again. This one has no electrical control oveer the injectors. Just fuel pipes connected. Lucas pump has a lot of solenoids on it. No idea which is which though. Plenty of fuel reaching pump can be seen through transparent pipes too and from pump. Symptom is so instantaneous, engine stops dead.
Changed crankshaft sensor but no change. However have found out there are 2 sensors available one with 600 ohms and one with 200 ohms. I cant find out which one should be on the engine or what effect having the wrong one on would have.

Tend to be concluding its a mechanical issue with the pump. Everyone I ask reckons they are prone to failure. Trying to find a second hand one at the moment. Lets hope its not coded.

Cheers

Mick

Unhappy 1.9D Kangoo

I have exactly the fault you described with my own Kangoo 1.9D (non-turbo).
Won't rev above 2900 and is like a kangaroo on the road until it cuts out. Seems to be a lot of air in the main fuel suction line, and the symptoms appear to be typical of fuel starvation. So far I have only changed the fuel filter, but, I would be interested to learn if you have pinpointed the problem before I get delving further.
Kind regards
John

Modern Diesel Engine Pumps and Supermarket Fuel

It seems these pumps last forever, unless you use supermarket fuel.

This contains a higher percentage of bio-fuel which destroys the seals in the pumps, which in tern messes up the metering.

My diesel pump man (John Pick) has a business where I live in Boston doing nothing but repairing the damage to diesel pumps.

He reckons most of the cases he sees are due to unbranded fuel, causing this issue with long term use. He also thinks this will only get worse as the % of bio diesel has to increase because of legislation.

The solution seems to be use the branded stuff, or change the seals to more resistant ones(bit £expensive).

Some makes seem to be more susceptible than others, with Vauxhall at the bottom of the league and the Germans at the top.

You might like to give John a call on 01205 369543, as he has done nothing but repair pumps for the last 20 years and will give you an idea where the problem may be. He can quote you for fixing it as an alternative to a second hand pump, if this is where he thinks the problem lies.

Back