Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Unusual MOT Failure

Sage103

Gordon
My 4GTL failed it’s MOT today on three issues - fog lamp not working (forgot to check it!), front sidelight not working (always a bit intermittent), and new one to me - front passenger door wouldn’t open, perhaps only from outside. But it was ok the night before. Has anyone had door latch issues? Is it a common fault?

As I remember from my days as a tester, the doors have to open, although they don't have to be opened from inside, providing the outside door handle can be reached from inside the car. I remember testing a car where the driver's door catch was broken. I spoke to the senior mechanic, who consulted the M.O.T. rule book, jumped into the driver's seat, wound the window down and satisfied himself that it was possible easily to reach & operate the outside door handle from the driver's seat-the result: a pass (but a word to the owner...)

I learnt something that day........

Checking the wording of the current rules I note this: (quoted from the MOT inspection manual)

Driver and passenger doors must open from the outside using the relevant control. Driver and front passenger doors must also open from the inside using the relevant control.

The important word here is "relevant" and my senior mechanic took the outside handle to be the "relevant" one, in the sense that it was "relevant" to the door in question, not "relevant" to which side of the door it was. I feel this wording is open to interpretation.......

Thanks for that info, Andrew. I’m not questioning the result of the test, my thought was that maybe the tester had tried to open the door from the out side while locked (the plunger did have some ‘give’ in its locked state) and had caused a breakage in the mechanism. Anyway just need to fix it now and get it back for a retest.

Just had my first opportunity to check the door - it works fine. I think that the MOT tester has been trying to open it while locked from the outside. As I said there is ‘give’ in the plunger and, this is what may have caused the confusion, the two lock barrels are 180 degrees apart. So on the driver’s side the key is inserted one way but on the passenger side it is inserted the other way round. So just a couple of lighting gremlins to address………

Many people are being confused by the fact that the doors on an R4 can be opened from inside whether they are locked or not.

Just had my first opportunity to check the door - it works fine. I think that the MOT tester has been trying to open it while locked from the outside. As I said there is ‘give’ in the plunger and, this is what may have caused the confusion, the two lock barrels are 180 degrees apart. So on the driver’s side the key is inserted one way but on the passenger side it is inserted the other way round. So just a couple of lighting gremlins to address………
I believe he forgot there were cars without central door locking system.:D

Back