Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Upper wishbone bushes

Andy McGhee

Enthusiast
Last summer I was investigating what I thought was a tracking problem (slight wear to the outer edge of the O/S front tyre), when I found a bit of play in the upper wishbone.This turned out to be the cause:

P1040312.JPG

I'm not sure what methods you all use to change the wishbone bushes, but this works for me (note the R4 front hub spacers!):

P1040290.JPG

Although it's easier with a vice, I find this kind of tool (or variations on it) pretty effective, both for removing and replacing the bushes :

P1040289.JPG

This particular bush was pretty reluctant to come out; I found it easier to remove the central ring first:

P1040287.JPG

Pushing the new bush home:

P1040313.JPG

All much better now - it seems to have sorted out the tyre wear problem.

And, just out of interest, pictures of a GTL wishbone and the reinforced ones fitted to F6s (do F4s have the same ones?)

GTL

P1040275.JPG

F6

P1040307.JPG

Hi Andy, I used the bolt method as well on my GTL. Worked perfectly. Not sure about the F4's

F4s and R4L saloons with the "rough roads" option had the reinforced wishbones. Usually went with the thicker anti-roll bars and rear anti-roll bar. Depending on what country it was sold in you got it or didn't. Early 4s sold in Australia and various African countries got them, UK cars usually didn't (at least early on).

Back